How long between dose adjustments?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mom2SweetPea, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mom2SweetPea

Mom2SweetPea Member

We are on day 5 of 1.5 of vetsulin. Sweet Pea's numbers are still quite high. We did manage to get a few yellows on the new dose, so it does appear to be helping, but I'm wondering how often to up the dose? My vet said to come back in two weeks and there's no need for me to test in between adjustments. Sigh. It just seems like letting it go that long with high numbers can't be good. I don't have a ton of stats since we just started this journey, but I'd appreciate any thoughts. The Young Again zero carb dry should arrive tomorrow. Hoping that helps! Still working on getting her to even taste the wet food.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'd go to 1.75 or 2.

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are using high carb dry food and trying to change over to lower carb food.
    Be aware that when you start changing over to wet low carb or the zero carb dry food, the blood sugars will drop lower so make sure you are testing the BSL frequently. So if you increase now and start changing over to lower carb tomorrow you could get a big drop in the BSL.
    Don't do both (increase dose and change to low carb food) at the same time.

4. Mom2SweetPea

Mom2SweetPea Member

Thank you both for the input. Bron, that was my thought, too. I am going to try the low carb food first to see if that helps. How often should I test other than AMPS and PMPS? This whole thing is giving me anxiety attacks! I'm a slave to these numbers! :-0

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I think we are all slaves to the numbers :joyful:
    But try not to let it get you too anxious. You are testing the BSL so you are in control.
    I have never used vetsulin, so can't really comment on it, but I would test a few times inbetween each cycle if you can.
    Try a +2 and a + 5 one cycle for example and swap around the times to get a picture of the cycle. As vetsulin is a fast acting insulin ( not a long lasting insulin like Lantus) I would imagine most of the action would be in the first half of each cycle.
    Try and get tests in, in the PM cycle as well as the BSL often drops lower at night.
    What you are looking for is a lowering of the numbers as a result of giving the low carb food.
    I see you have found the vetsulin page and posted over there...that is great.....you will probably get more help over there as they use that insulin or similar all the time.:)
    @JanetNJ posts on that page so will be able to help you.

6. Mom2SweetPea

Mom2SweetPea Member

Did not know that BSL is often lower at night! I will try to do a few PM tests. I wasn't sure where to post my questions! Will take mine to the vetsulin board. Trying to juggle all these balls and dropping a few along the way...

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

It is fine to post on this board...it is just that you will find more people who use the insulin you use on the vetsulin board.
    A lot of people use this page for general health questions and the different insulin pages for insulin specific questions, if that makes sense. But there is no right or wrong way to ask questions. You will just get more people using the insulin you use if you post on the specific insulin board.
    You aren't dropping any balls, you are doing really well and gathering information which is great.
    Keep asking lots of questions. :)

8. Suit Keng Ho

Suit Keng Ho New Member

Hi I use vetsulin, as u can see from my chart, it takes 2 weeks to get a stable bgl. Patience

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.