How long do you treat pancreatic flare up?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by nslade001, Nov 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

Hi, our 17 yo Willow was diagnosed last week with diabetes which is responding beautifully. However she had what seems to be a possible pancreatic flare up (inappetance, pain, lethargy, hiding). We got antinausea meds, antacid, appetite stimulant and bupe from vet at beginning of week as a just-in-case worst case scenario because we have a long drive ahead this weekend (moving). But her symptoms worsened quickly and we started treatment.
    She's had 3 days of Cerenia injection and bupe and antacid at night. Her appetite *seems* to be back to normal, or almost there as of this morning. She's also much more alert and responsive as opposed to lying like a lump, and a bit more mobile though still sticking to the bedroom.

Im waiting to hear back from my vet later today, but would like to know how long a pancreatic flare *should* be treated before I talk with her? I don't want to stop treatment too early and have a recurrence especially with the upcoming stress of the trip.

*Edited to add:
    Our vet called back, said around a week is normal so will be prescribing more injections to carry us through, plus adding some Vitamin B12 shots. She's a great vet, although we haven't had to go much (thankfully!).

Thanks so much! With love,
    Nikki

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Max had chronic pancreatitis for many years. Every flare was different. I would treat until he was back to normal for several days and then withdrew one thing at a time gradually. I mostly used cerenia or ondansetron for nausea and sometimes cyproheptadine if he needed an appetite stimulant.

nslade001 likes this.
  3. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

My cat Buddy has chronic pancreatitis, our experience is about the same as Elise (hope I have name right) just don't withdraw all of the medicine at the same time.

nslade001 likes this.
  4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

WasWillow given subQ fluids by the vet?. Cats are often dehydrated with pancreatitis.
    Cerenia and ondansetron which @tiffmaxee mentioned are available as oral medications and are good to have at home to use as the flare up eases, and also to have in case of any future flare ups. Both are very effective.
    I would get some before the move so you have something to give if Willow needs it.
    Good luck with the move

Teresa & Buddy and nslade001 like this.
  6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Olive was dx about 10 days ago. Never lost appy. She has been on bupre for 7 days and so much better but not quite 100%. I picked up more bupre and we are going to try reduced dose for a few days.

nslade001 likes this.
  7. nslade001

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Willow hasn't been given fluids yet, but I'm monitoring her and have them just in case. I also have a good supply of bupe and other meds to hopefully carry us through this episode, and we've added vitamin b injections to her plan.

Good news...She's eating very well today! A strong desire for food, more like her old appetite (though not normal yet) . She even came out to the living room looking for food :) the bupe is causing some constipation though, and she's currently not liking water added to her food. I've upped her clearlax and pumpkin (she *loves* pumpkin!)
    She was in some discomfort on and off, and slept most of the day (normal) but she still purrs when petted.

Hopefully she improves even more before we start our trip this Saturday.

Thanks again, with love,
    Nikki

8. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

My Baby had another flare up just last week. I do the same as all the others have mentioned above. I can tell by her appetite & how she is behaving I keep the meds on hand just in case. I still need to find out why some vets believe an antibiotic will help & some do not. I’m sure each case is different but what type of infection & how do they determine that. Anyone know? I hope Willow is feeling better & good luck on your move. That is stressful enough!!!

nslade001 likes this.
  9. nslade001

Thank you!

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.