How long does hum. N last in the fridge?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by ErinElizabeth, Jul 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Member

I'm try to arrange to switch Chinookie to lantus or levemir, on the advice of most others on the board.
    The vet told me as long as I kept the humulin in the fridge, it would last long enough the finish the bottle.
    But I'm reading all sorts of things and can't keep track....
    We opened this bottle on July 3, so it's coming up on a month, and it's not even half empty.
    What do I need to know about storing this insulin and is it worth it to finish the bottle or just go spend the money for a new prescription for better insulin at this point?

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Well, not many people come around this forum because the insulins are not used by many posters.
    I think your N will last long enough until you can switch to Lantus or Lev, and the best way to tell that it's fizzling would be by the numbers.
    You are home testing and if you are sticking with the same dose but the numbers seem to be creeping higher, your insulin may need replacing, but I don't think you need to worry about it.

One thing to mention is that you don't need to put your dose in your signature or you will have to keep changing it all the time. Because you have your ss linked in your signature, there is no reason at all to put your dose in the signature as everyone can look at your ss for the dosing.
    Right now it's showing as 4u but you are down at 1.5u now, so just take out the line.

You will be seeing much better results once you switch to another insulin.

Gayle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.