How long does this go on?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Darwin H., Dec 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

Vet changed from 2 units 2x daily to 1 unit 2x daily this past week and nothing has really changed in his BG. Have moved him almost completely off grazing Kirkland kibble to 2 feedings daily can food although I leave some kibble down, (There is another cat here also) he is barely touching it and not eating much of the can stuff. Maybe 3/4 5.5 oz can daily in total that I mix in pieces of cooked turkey to food. He is static at 13 lbs since diagnosis 2 weeks ago - down from 26 lbs a year ago.

2. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

It is better to break that 2 units down to 1 unit in the morning/1 in the evening 12 hours later as you've been doing rather than once a day. A cats metabolism runs about twice as fast as a human - just shooting once a day is leaving him without insulin support for about 12 hours. Without knowing how low the current 1 unit dose is giving him in mid-cycle, there's no way to really tell what advice to give. Those high numbers make him feel like poop... :(

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

He said he went from 2 units 2x daily to 1 unit 2x daily. So, I don't think he was dosing once a day.

It can take quite some time to get some cats regulated, so try not to expect immediate results... unless you like being disappointed :). It would be helpful if you could get some mid-cycle tests. Without them, you really cannot tell what impact the current insulin dose is having. I take it that, at this point, you are strictly looking to the vet for instructions on when to change the dose. What is the vet basing dose changes on, curves?

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Insulin is not a set it and forget it kind of dose. It fluctuates as needed.

Molly and Sammy likes this.
  5. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

It is only going into his second week since diagnosed but I update his SS with each dosing.

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

It may turn out thata full unit drop was too much but wait and see what happens since you cut back on dry food. You need to get some mid cycle tests when possible. If not at all possible during the day at least a before bed test at night would help as lantus is dosed based upon the nadir, lowest point in the cycle. Many drop lower at night. Max often surprised me with that and we had many pj parties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.