How Long Is Lantus Good For Once Opened?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Happycats, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Happycats

Happycats Member

Hi. How Long does Lantus remain good for in the fridge? My vet said 6 months. Is that too long? Thanks.

2. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

It can be good for 6mos, if you dont shake it and handle it carefully. Its good until there are "floaties" in it, particulate matter. Merlyn used one vial for 7 months and then went OTJ. 3 months later after being unused in the fridge it finally had floaties in it.

3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

For cats, it can be used for months. Human use is only 28 days. If you are hometesting you will be able to determine when it is beginning to lose its effectiveness.

4. janelle and Nomad

janelle and Nomad Member

I keep my lantus in the frig. but find I can only stretch it two months. At that point for some reason my cat starts to metabolize it faster and it begins to act more like a shorter. acting insulin. This may just be an oddity with my cat. This next time around I am switching to an insulin pen or the pack of five cartriges so I don't have to keep throwing out bottles of insulin that are still 75% full.

5. cjleo

cjleo Member

I am wondering why the vets are saying Lantus is goof for 6 months after opening. The literature for humans says 28 days. Since I use it as a human type 1, I can tell you it doesn't last much more than a month for me.

Given that cats metabolize insulin faster than humans, I don't quite understand why the vets are suggesting that a vial will last 6 months. This is an off label use, and the manufacturer is not suggesting the the insulin will last longer for felines.

My suggestion is use the cartridges (3ml instead of 10 ml) and test. Date the cartridge when you start using it. When you see a need to increase the dose, check the dating. I think you will find 25 - 35 days is about the max for maximum effectiveness of most Lantus cartridges or vials. Note: it is not the most stable insulin.

Do keep it refrigerated and treat it carefully - don't shake or roll.

Good luck,

Claudia

6. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Isn't the label recommendation of 28days for unrefrigerated? They recommend humans not refridgerate because it can be uncomfortable to inject cold insulin.

We used our vial for about 2.5 months and did not handle it "properly". Our vet told us to roll so we rolled it for the first month before I came here. I frequently pulled a little extra and injected back into the vial to get the correct dosage. We also used the syringes more than once (also a vet recommendation). We forgot it on the counter a few times for a few hours. Despite all that we made it over 2 months and could have probably made it to remission without getting something new, but I thought I was catching glimpses of floaties once in a while and our numbers didn't seem to move (off course Smokey was a flat line on the low doses anyway). I just got the new stuff then because I didn't want to risk remission not coming because of old insulin.

7. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

It will last longer refrigerated. Humans take it with them out, so its impractical for many humans to keep it cold. For cats, you can let it sit in the syringe for a few mins to warm it slightly.

The only reason the insert says 28 days is that the studies didnt go past 28 days, so they can not advise humans to use it past 28 days. That doesnt mean its not good after 28 days, just that that is how long the study lasted.

Its probably on the old board somewhere..a member had called them and thats the explanation they gave for the 28 days. And they are very emphatic about it because if a human uses it past 28 days and has a problem they arent liable.

8. cjleo

cjleo Member

Sorry guys, as a human diabetic on Lantus for the last five years, I beg to disagree.

Since humans use Lantus once a day, it is not taken out of the house on a regular basis. It is kept in the refrigerator and is given cold. Yes it may sting a little, but long term diabetics are used to that :smile: It is normally given at night -like at dinner or at bedtime.

Sometimes I would get 28 days out of a vial. Often, I would see numbers begin to creep up after 25 days.

For my diabetic cats, I use cartridges and I test. So, I can tell when the efficacy of Lantus drops. Sometimes I get 30 days. But, it is rare. 6 months is wishful thinking in my opinion.

Just my two cents.

Claudia

9. janelle and Nomad

janelle and Nomad Member

The current bottle of Lantus I am usong was opened October 5. When I took Nomad's pmps tonight it was 268. He usually runs around 200. Almost like clockwork this happens around the two month mark. I am taking him to the vet Saturday and will get a new script for the 3ml cartridges. If each of those last me two months I will have a ten month supply for a little over the price of a 10ml bottle. ;-). The pharm. Company probably states 28 days for liability purposes and also to sell more LOL I don't like pushing things far past the expiration date. It is not worth Nomad's health to save a few bucks.

10. Deb14

Deb14 Member

My cat Patchie has had hyperglycemia for a couple of years, her IDDM was a result of steroid use as a treatment for IBD. Once her IBD resolved the steroids were tapered off. After months of careful regulation, last July her sugars were normal and the inulin was DC'd. Just before Christmas her sister passed. That in itself is a long sad story. This has caused a lot of stress on Patchie. I noticed her water intake has increased dramatically. I just took her CBG, now 280! Worse yet its a CVS meter which historically 30% higher than a feline meter.

Now the question. I do have some lantus left. As far as I can tell it was opened 6 months ago almost to the day. There are no "floaties". I understand it may still be good, BUT if it is no longer good, what can happen? Is it unsafe or just less potent? Her dose would be only 1/2 a unit at most. I have called my vet but they cannot see her til tomorrow, would like to get this down tonight.

Any ideas anyone??

11. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd really suggest starting with fresh.....it's possible it's OK and it's probably safe, but you're not going to know how effective it is

Actually, human meters read lower than pet meters do, so if Patchie was tested on a pet meter, he'd probably be higher. 280 is too high, but it's not awful....Make sure your vet takes a good look at her teeth and checks for any other signs of infection/inflammation

12. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

When I used the pens, the insulin usually was effective until I was finished with it. I was using 4 units a day so it would last about 2 1/2 months for me. I always kept it refrigerated. I tested before every shot so I was able to determine if it was still working in my cat.

13. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Please note:
    This thread was started in 2010. We've come a long way in our understanding and use of Lantus since then.

Lantus is NOT as fragile as we once thought. Human diabetics will carry around an unrefrigerated pen in their purse, briefcase, backpack, or stuck in their pocket. The pens will be subject to motion, bumps and bangs... it still works! Refrigeration and minimizing movement will help your insulin last longer, but don't freak out if you drop your insulin or accidentally leave it out on the counter over night. Chances are the insulin is just fine!

From the Lantus & Levemir - Syringe & Insulin Info: Handling, Drawing, & Fine Doses sticky:

HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN YOUR INSULIN IS NO LONGER GOOD?:

• When you lose regulation for no reason.
    • If you see any hint of "floaties"/"tiny particles"... discard the insulin.
    • If insulin is cloudy or discolored, or if rubber stopper is cracked... replace insulin immediately.
    • If the insulin has frozen, it's no longer good.

HOW LONG WILL MY INSULIN LAST?:

• The manufacturer of Lantus recommends discarding the insulin after 28 days of use. However, with proper handling and refrigeration, many Lantus users have been able to use a vial/cartridge/pen for six months and longer. Some use pens and vials to the last drop.
    • The manufacturer of Levemir recommends discarding the insulin after 42 days of use. However, with proper handling and refrigeration, many Levemir users have been able to use a vial/pen for six months and longer. Some have used pens and vials to the last drop.
    • Unopened Lantus or Levemir are good until the expiration date stamped on the box if refrigerated and handled properly.
    Hope this helps...

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

The vial I am currently using is at least three months old, maybe more (it came to me second-hand, already opened) and still going strong. :)

Jill & Alex (GA) and Critter Mom like this.
  15. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I used up a vial of Lantus and it took about a year. It still worked fine even at the end.

16. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ozzy Pawzbourne Well-Known Member

When I picked up my lantus pen from the pharmacy I asked the pharmacist this exact question. She said the 28 day rule was more for sterility purposes and if you kept it stored in the fridge- it should be good for 6 months.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  17. Deb14

Deb14 Member

18. Deb14

Deb14 Member

19. Deb14

Deb14 Member

Hi need help for my kitty. Possible bounce ?? Vet told me to stop insulin on Jan 7 afternoon dose. I did and she's getting high reading even after giving her small amounts. Need to know if can give her another unit but how much.? Last time insulin was 9:30 1/8 unit and 12:39 1/4 unit. Now that the blood sugar is 179 at 4:17 not sure what to do.

Thanks so much hope to hear back soon
    Debbie
    Jan 5th, Thursday evening
    Bs. 280. 4:00 pm
    Bs. 279. 10:05 pm
    ........Insulin 10:15pm, Hair over 1/2 unit 10:15 pm.....
    Bs. 207 11:10 pm

Jan 6, Friday
    Bs. 48. 2:09am
    Bs. 46 3:15am
    Bs. 56 4:20am
    Bs. 64 10:04am
    Bs. 72 11:17am
    . ..Insulin 11:55am .....1/2 unit
    Bs. 166 1:42pm
    Bs. 53 4:28pm
    Bs. 41 5:54pm

Jan 7, Saturday
    Bs 75 12:21am
    Bs 79. 1:13am
    Bs 114. 3:30am
    ...Insulin 3:45am ......1/4 unit
    Bs 87 6:00am
    Bs 68. 8:00am
    Bs 59. 10:00am
    Bs 78. 2:15pm
    Bs. 76. 5:30pm
    Bs. 83. 9:45pm

Jan 8, Sunday
    Bs. 91. 1:06am (krill given 2 hrs before a few drops causes sugar to rise)
    Bs 131. 8:36am
    ....insulin 9:30 1/8 unit
    Bs 150 12:14pm
    ...... Insulin 12:39. 1/4 unit...
    Bs. 145 2:09pm
    Bs 179 4:17pm???? Insulin or not ??? Concerned its high at 179 or do I wait.. Just took it it's coming down at 151 at 6:00 pm. Its 126 so it's still decreasing. Should I give insulin when it starts going back up as long as it's above 75? Thanks so much very worried , Debbie

20. Deb14

Deb14 Member

21. Ozzy Pawzbourne

@Deb14 you should post in the main health forum and start a new thread called "help with dosing" More people will see your thread and personal subject and will be along shortly to advise. Good luck!

Critter Mom likes this.
  22. Deb14

Deb14 Member

23. Deb14

Deb14 Member

Thank you. I'll will try to locate it. Not good at this not computer safeylol.

24. Ozzy Pawzbourne

I will get you the link. Hang tight...

25. Deb14

Deb14 Member

I figured it out thank u

Ozzy Pawzbourne likes this.
  26. Ozzy Pawzbourne

@Deb14
    Deb, here is the link:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/
    Just go to the upper right corner and there is a blue button that says "Post New Thread". Click on it and then start your own thread and title it "Need Dosing Advice" or something like that. You will get lots of help. I'm still new here and not qualified to give dosing advice but we have some amazing and knowledgeable members who will be able to help you! Good luck!

Critter Mom likes this.
  27. Deb14

Deb14 Member

Your the best ☺️Thx

28. Ozzy Pawzbourne

You bet! Good luck!

And welcome!!! :)

Warning....this place is addictive!

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.