? How long to stall?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mary & Navi, Jan 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mary & Navi

Mary & Navi Member

good morning!

Navis AMPS were 133, so I stalled for about 30 mins and tested again and it was 156.

She’s getting pretty antsy for her breakfast. Is it time to call it a no shot morning and feed her, or how long do I stall for?

She’s on 2.2u of vetsulin.

Thanks!

2. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about vestulin. But do you have hc food and plenty of strips to test and monitor her if you do shoot? Hopefully more exsperience will come along.

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You can stall up to an hour. However, she's never had a PS this low and Vetsulin can hit quickly and hard. She also had a lime green recently. You could try a reduced dose of 1 u this AM and consider dropping her regular dose to no more than 2 u tonight, numbers permitting.

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  4. Mary & Navi

Mary & Navi Member

Thank you! We’re at the hour mark in about 5 mins so I’ll test once more and get everything ready!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  5. Kris & Teasel

I see the 180 on your SS. I'd still go with 1 u this AM. You might be able to be braver after you've collected more data on her responses to insulin at these lower BGs.

Mary & Navi likes this.
  6. Mary & Navi

Mary & Navi Member

Thank you! Just did the 1u and will test in a bit. She’s happy licking her chops now.

Her best buddy had oral cancer and I had to make the hardest decision to let her go last Tuesday. Her numbers have been low since. I feel she was stressed about her friend and now that she’s gone the stress is gone as well. Not sure if that can happen, but it’s a small comfort to think.

7. Kris & Teasel

I think our critters feel stress whether from us, another pet that's ill or something else. I'm sorry you had to make that very hard decision. :bighug:

8. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

@Mary Anne , ongoingly I think that 2.2 units is generally too high a dose.

Navi is getting some incredibly steep drops on that dose, probably exacerbated by her BG temporarily 'bouncing' up to higher numbers (caused by the BG dropping too low or too fast (or quite possibly both in her case)).

You may well find that reducing the dose will level out the numbers a bit.
    If it were my cat I'd look at experimenting with maybe no more than a 1.5 unit dose instead of the 2.2 for a few days; or even trying variable dosing (sliding scale) according to the preshot numbers (but also trying to take into account any possible bouncing that's going on at the time of the preshot test; a cat dropping out of a bounce plus (potentially) too much insulin can cause very steep drops in BG...).

Eliz

Mary & Navi and Kris & Teasel like this.
  9. Kris & Teasel

Thanks for weighing in, Elizabeth. :)

Mary & Navi likes this.
  10. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

((((Mary Anne))))
    My condolences on the loss of your kitty, and I'm sorry that Navi has lost her best buddy... :(
    Huge hugs to you... :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Eliz

Mary & Navi likes this.
  11. Mary & Navi

Mary & Navi Member

Thanks for all the advice! Should I gradually drop her dose (ie do 2u for a few days, then 1.8...etc)? Or should I just go straight to 1.5?

Thank you for your kind words. It’s been really hard for me lately. The hardest being she was still eating and everything just fine, but her breathing was very rapid so either the tumor grew and was cutting off her oxygen somewhat making it difficult to breathe, or her pain was too much even the pain meds weren’t doing the trick. I’m still going through the what if and guilty phase. But Navi stayed by her side the entire 3 months (in the bathroom) and has since finally come out and rejoined the family again!

12. Kris & Teasel

Elizabeth is very knowledgeable about your insulin so I'd follow her advice to go down to 1.5 u next dose. Collect data for several days, maybe do a curve when you're off and then the dose can be adjusted if necessary. With an insulin like Vetsulin that has a more aggressive action it's wise to build an extra cushion of safety into your dosing. You'll have that if nadir is usually in the 90 to 110 range.

Mary & Navi likes this.
  13. Kris & Teasel

My goodness!! That 44 is a surprise! Did you retest to see whether it's a dud strip or not? It looks like you've finally broken through to a good dose range. Maybe drop to only 0.5 u tonight if PMPS is high enough? @Elizabeth and Bertie What do you think?

14. Mary & Navi

Mary & Navi Member

Yep interested and it was just a few points up so I kept it as the lowest on the sheet. Gave her a snack and about to test again!

15. Mary & Navi

Mary & Navi Member

52 now. Planning to keep a close eye on her. Luckily I’m a SAHM so I can do this sort of thing! She’s acting her normal, lazy self (lazy, not lethargic lol!!). I wasn’t expecting the 44 either!

16. Kris & Teasel

Whew for 52! :)

Mary & Navi likes this.
  17. Mary & Navi

Mary & Navi Member

Yes!! Whenever she’s lower than 100 I test like crazy since I’m so used to her being in the 300/400s. What a difference it’s been in just the last week!!

18. Kris & Teasel

Do you have her PMPS yet?

19. Mary & Navi

Mary & Navi Member

Not yet. Since I shot her late (8a) I still have 2 hours and 15 mins to go (pacific time). I’ll update once I get her numbers! Thanks for checking in!

20. Mary & Navi

Mary & Navi Member

Damn. PMPS is 346...

21. Kris & Teasel

How is Navi doing today? No data on your SS after last night's bounce.

22. Mary & Navi

Mary & Navi Member

AMPS were 446. My husband didn’t put up her food dish so she may have recently snuck a bite (I just woke up).

23. Kris & Teasel

Huge bounce - not unexpected. I'd try 1.2 u today and for a couple of days ahead as per Elizabeth's advice. :)

Mary & Navi likes this.
  24. Mary & Navi

Mary & Navi Member

Thank you! Yeah since I changed her food time to a later time for stalling yesterday, she may have gone out scrounging up her old food from her night snack last night while I was still sleeping since my husband didn’t put her dish up like he’s supposed to, so she may have eaten within the 2 hours pre-amps. I’ll keep an eye on her with the 1.2 for a couple days. Hoping this is a good sign!!

25. Mary & Navi

Mary & Navi Member

So today at +4 her number was 167, then at +7 it was 304, then her PMPS was 488...should I stick to the 1.2 units?

26. Kris & Teasel

I answered on another older thread of yours. You can try 1.4 u soon but those blues at 1.2 u are showing you you're nearing a good dose range.

Mary & Navi likes this.
  27. Mary & Navi

Mary & Navi Member

Bout time! I just want to get her regulated finally! Of course, then I go and forget to set my alarm this morning and overslept so her shot was 15 mins late

28. Kris & Teasel

That short delay isn’t an issue. :)

Mary & Navi likes this.
  29. Kris & Teasel

Ignore the bouncy blacks. :)

30. Mary & Navi

Mary & Navi Member

How long should I wait to do a curve? Twice now I’ve come into the bedroom to find a very large wet spot on the bed. Doesn’t smell like pee ao was wondering if she’s drinking too much water too fast and regurgitating it. I emailed her vet and he said that diabetics urine is often very diluted and he’s thinking she may have a uti (which isn’t uncommon for her), but to do a curve so he can make more of a decision on if I need to bring her in for testing...

31. Kris & Teasel

Maybe try a curve tomorrow if you're home? She'll have had four 1.2 u doses by then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.