HOW MUCH BUPRENEX CAN BE GIVEN TO CAT IN DISTRESS???

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jean and Charcoal, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

Anyone with experience with Idiopathic or Interstitial Cystitis Treatment in cats????

I am writing at the moment while my female cat, Ketchie, is going from box to box peeing small amounts and she is evidently in pain.

I have had to take her to my vet's three times in two weeks now, she has had fluids just on Tuesday, 2-23, and just an hour or so ago, she started going from box to box (7 different boxes) and is crying, so I know she has pain. An hour ago, I gave her .15 mls of Buprenex, and just 20 minutes ago I gave her .15 mls of Metacam.

She weighs 11 pounds, but she has not been eating very much these last two weeks. I really think I need to get her x-rayed to see if she has something worse going on inside her bladder other than Interstitial Cystitis.

She is 14 and a half years old. I have been posting about her, and I was going to post on the Gen'l Health section, but couldn't find the 911.

I am in distress myself right now, and my heart is pounding (I have hbp and heart issues and my throat feels like it is going to swell up I am so nervous- rare disease I have called HAE). We are under a severe high wind warning and it is now snowing outside. I can't get her to any ER and not sure if I can get her to my regular vet in morning due to the bad weather.

All I need to know is if I can give her another dose of .15 mls. of Buprenex??? I remember giving my Proto last year .3 mls. of Buprenex for this same disease, but he weighed about 20 pounds. Do they go by weight when dispensing the amount of this medicine?

If anyone here can let me know, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. LindaLee & Napoleon

LindaLee & Napoleon Member

Jean ~ I've cross-posted on FD Health with a 911 to get attention from there. Since there's not a 911 icon on General Cat Health, could you edit this post & put 911 in red in the header?

(((((((HUGS)))))))
    Linda Lee

3. Jean and Charcoal

Thanks, Linda Lee. I posted it in the Community Forum, since that seems like more people are up this late. I have not been able to get any sleep and the wind is blowing so hard, I don't even know if maybe that has thrown Ketchie into feeling like a nervous wreck and maybe why she is going through yet another flare up of this cystitis.

Jean

4. LindaLee & Napoleon

I've posted on Facebook.

5. LindaLee & Napoleon

Re: 911! HOW MUCH BUPRENEX CAN BE GIVEN TO CAT IN DISTRESS???

Does your vet have instructions for after hours emergencies? Can you call an ER clinic?

6. Jean and Charcoal

No, I could kick myself for not asking the vet about something like this happening. Ketchie seemed to be doing so much better after the fluids, but this stuff hits suddenly with a vengeance it seems.

If I call the ER clinic, they will probably tell me that I have to bring her in. But, maybe I will call anyway, and see if they would give me the answer over the phone perhaps, due to the severe weather we are going through right now.

Thanks, Linda Lee!

7. Jean and Charcoal

My ELECTRICITY is now blinking like it might go out. Please pray for us here going through this storm! I am sure there are many others, in much more dire straits than me and the cats!

Hope it does not go off, but in case it does, I will not be on for a while.

Thanks, everyone!

8. LindaLee & Napoleon

Because of the weather, maybe the ER can answer the dosage question over the phone. I'll stay up until you've gotten answers from the ER or here. Sending good thoughts & prayers.

9. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Giving another does should be fine. Per Plumb's, Buprenex has a factor of safety of about 100 on dosing.

10. Jean and Charcoal

Thanks, Larry. :) Now I can at least giver her another dose, sooner than l thought and not worry. :)

Also, thanks to you, Linda for caring about us here. I am falling asleep at the computer, so I better go lie down!

I will try to post later on to let you know how she is doing.

Jena and Charcoal (GA)

11. Jean and Charcoal

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7459&p=74656#p74656

I have been posting also over on Community if you want to check that out.

Getting ready to take Ketchie to the vet's again now. An x-ray this time.

I will post over on the other forum later when I get back.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers,

Jean and Charcoal (GA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.