? How much insulin?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Booger's Mom, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

Booger is supposed to get 3 units 2x a day. I am new to this so I was checking him after he ate but before giving his insulin. Today I started checking him before he eats, then let him eat and give his insulin. This morning before he ate he was 454 so I gave the 3 units. Right now, I just checked him and he was 370. He is eating now and then I will give him his insulin. Should I still give him the 3 units?

2. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

I went ahead and gave him the 3 units and I will check him in a little while to see where he is at. I did see in one of the articles about glucose levels and adjusting insulin levels. When he was initially diagnosed, the vet told me to just give him 2 units 2x day. Didn't say anything about checking his levels nothing. I just do not know how she can expect me to give him 2 units 2x a day and not know what his glucose level is. Thinking back on it now, that scares me that he could have been low and I could have made him lower by giving him the 2 units. On 3/9 he went in for a glucose curve and she said he was in the 300's all day so she upped him to 3 units.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Vetsulin usually peeks at 5-6 hours after injection.... Tests in that time will tell you how low he's going.

4. JanetNJ

Looking at your spreadsheet you have a very bouncy kitty. It's dipping from 600's to 200's. Sometimes when that happens is the body protecting itself from what it perceives add a hypo because the cat isn't used to lower numbers.

5. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

@JanetNJ I was testing after he ate as well so I think that is a factor in why he is so high on some of the numbers.

6. JanetNJ

Ah yes. Test before meals. I see that now in the comments. Well now that you know your preshots will be better right away! Lol

7. JanetNJ

Once the dental is done that will help the numbers as well!

8. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

Yeah she said once he is a little better regulated we could see about doing the cleaning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.