How much subcutaneous fluids to give?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Willow71, Apr 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willow71

Willow71 Member

Just wondering how much subcutaneous fluids people give their cat and how often. I have given them before but can't remember... I'm thinking maybe 25mls every few hours?
    The ED vet was really busy with critical animals so we are trying to manage getting more fluids into Willow at home.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

The rule of thumb is 10 ml per pound... so a 10lb cat would get no more than 100 ml per day. How much does she weigh?

3. monty_dweezil (GA)

monty_dweezil (GA) Member

When my Dwee had to have them at the vet, he would have 100ml. He weighed 4.8kg at that stage. He'd been 5.2kg a month before all these ketones starting bombarding us.

Willow71 likes this.
  4. sassycatlady

sassycatlady Member

I used to give my CKD kitty SubQ fluids and he'd get about 100mL a day, but the 10mL per lb. is a good general rule to go by, too (my guy was around 9-10 lbs).

Willow71 likes this.
  5. Willow71

Willow71 Member

She weighs 3 kilos.... that’s 6.6 pounds from my conversion.

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Normally we would say to give no more than 70 ml at that weight but I know you are trying to flush ketones out. It's probably ok to do 100 ml per day until the crisis has passed provided the previous ones have been absorbed and she had no heart problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.