? How much to feed 16lb kitty?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ashley H & Gizmo, Jul 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashley H & Gizmo

Ashley H & Gizmo Member

SORRY THIS IS LONG! MY MAIN QUESTIONS ARE IN BOLD. THANK YOU ALL FOR THE AMAZING ADVICE.

We've started transitioning to wet food throughout the week with FF Classics, Friskies Pates and a FreshPet option.

Luckily, Gizmo's appetite is much better than the last time we tried any canned food and I discovered that he prefers it if it's been microwaved a little (the warm water just wasn't doing enough for him, I guess). I've been mixing 1/2 can with about 1/4 - 1/2 c of his usual dry food, depending on which food we're using...until this morning. He ate his first all-wet meal (whole can of FF) and was very into it!

Is 3 ounces, twice a day enough food for a boy his size?

The vet says he's "overweight" but he's a big boy (neck to booty as long as my 5'7" lady torso) and has only gained a pound over the last 3 years. Our old vet also deemed him overweight several years ago at about 15lbs; put him on a diet and he was down to 11lbs at the 6 month follow-up, which the vet felt was too thin for him. I monitor his weight by assessing how easy it is to feel his frame/spine/ribs while petting or grooming, based on the previous vet's recommendation...At this time, I can still feel his frame with ease and he only really looks "fat" when he lays flat on his side.

However, after our first curve on Monday, the vet increased his Lantus dose from 1.5 u to 2.5 which we started last night. Checked his BG this morning, fed him his breakfast, and gave him the 2.5 u dose. At +6 his level had dropped dramatically. I gave him a 1/4 c of GlycoBalance dry kibble and called the vet's office. Rechecked BG at +7 and it was still quite low, so gave another 1/4 c of kibble, as I had yet to hear back from the vet (still have yet to hear from her). Even at the lowest number, he wasn't showing any hypo signs but was clearly hungry!

Could this have happened because he didn't eat enough? Or that the insulin dose is too high for an exclusively wet food diet? Perhaps both?

Due for another curve in a couple weeks, but will continue to monitor his BG until then.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The rule of thumb is 20-30 calories per pound of ideal body weight.
    For a normal 8 lb cat two 3 OZ cans is a good starting point. For a 16 lb cat 3-4 can is about right.
    You do not want to to loose weight too fast.
    Just weigh weekly and increase/decrease amount as necessary

3. Ashley H & Gizmo

Ashley H & Gizmo Member

Thank you! I did look up calorie intake today and had kind of deduced that he probably needed about 4 cans/day, of Fancy Feast anyway. If he lost a little weight, that'd be fine, but I don't think he needs to lose very much at all.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

My 16 lb cat ate about 4 cans of ff a day. He wasn't diabetic. Diabetics often need more food until the numbers are well regulated.

Ashley H & Gizmo likes this.
  5. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Probably all of the above. An increase from 1.5U to 2.5U is a big increase, and in the past Gizmo was showing 2.0U was too much. While the past couple weeks show 1.5U was not enough, he might do best with 1.75U (easier to measure with half unit marked syringes). Glad to see you reduced his dose tonight to 2.0U but please get a before bed test to make sure he's not heading downward again.

Usually when doing a diet change, we recommend not increasing insulin until you see how it impacts BG. In some cases we even suggest decreasing. Keep trying to get those AMPS and PMPS test at minimum to make sure he's safe to receive insulin. Feel free to keep asking questions :)

6. Ashley H & Gizmo

Ashley H & Gizmo Member

@Yong , thanks! I just checked his BG again since we're about to head to bed and he's at 367 (which is pretty "normal" for him lately).

I did eventually speak with the vet, and she advised dropping back down to 2. Although it appeared to be too much for him before, I don't think those numbers are super reliable since he was almost not eating at all then since he was dealing with a UTI and diabetes + everything that goes with that. She said that a can of FF was probably plenty for his breakfast, but could have had an impact since it is lower in carbs than his dry food. So, we need get his diet settled so I've decided to take control of his insulin/dosing based on allll the stuff I've been reading here (did I mention you're all pretty fabulous?!?).

Following our curve on Monday, I pretty much knew the vet was going to increase the dose but had assumed she'd just bump it back to 2u. Reading thru the Lantus TR Protocol today led me to think that 2 units is probably where we should have been, based on his weight. Then taking the huge drop we had this afternoon into consideration, it kind of seems like if we can get him onto a fully LC canned diet, we may need very little to no insulin to keep him regulated.

AlphaCat and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  7. Lillie

Lillie Member

I made the mistake of having a curve done at the same time I eliminated his dry food. The dry food had such an impact on his BG that he was still showing high numbers at the vets which caused more insulin to be given that was needed. I should have corrected his diet first before the curve at the vets. This would have shown a more accurate picture as to whether his diabetes was diet caused or not. Something learned that I was not aware of in the beginning.

8. Yong & Maury GA

Hi Ashley and Gizmo,
    Just checking in and was wondering what's going on with the sliding scale type dosing? Changing the dose that frequently with Lantus can mess up the depot and make it difficult to stabilize. Remember, you're not alone with treating him. You can post if your questioning his numbers and need help :)

9. Ashley H & Gizmo

Ashley H & Gizmo Member

Thanks for checking in @Yong. The changes were made by our vet because he'd do really well for a few days and then his numbers would go back up again. We've been on 2.5 units, consistently, for a about a week now and that seems to be working the best as far as keeping within the range they'd like.

His BG is 78/79 this morning, so not sure whether to do a full dose, half dose or no dose at all.

10. Yong & Maury GA

Have you decided which protocol you wanted to use with Lantus? Pretty sure with PS of 90, SLGS says to skip :bookworm:. You can make a thread over on Lantus to see if they can help more. I'm still newer with Lantus :)

11. Ashley H & Gizmo

Ashley H & Gizmo Member

My instinct was to go with NS, since his evening numbers have also been fairly low, although still over 100. But I'm just not sure...we've never had these low numbers in the AM, haha. I posted there as well, to see if anyone would help me out as well.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  12. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Good idea to post on the L forum. They'll ask you whether you're dosing by TR or SLGS because it affects advice given.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.