How much?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Kathy1966, May 22, 2019.

1. Kathy1966

Kathy1966 Member

I haven't figured out the spreadsheet just yet so I'll have to break it down here..
    Buddy 5 years old diagnosed on Monday. His glucose at the vets was 498 (thought they said 480 but they told me yesterday 498). They gave him 4U which was too high..
    His readings the rest of the day on Monday were 114 at 4:13 pm, 80 at 6:57 pm and 81 and 10:30 pm. I gave no insulin even though they had told me to give 4U in the pm. If I had not used my husband's meter I would not have know the lower numbers... you can read more about that on my first post Buddy diagnosed..

Yesterday the 21st at 6am it was 57 and at 4:29 pm it was 75 (the second reading was with an new ReliOn meter and it was 6 numbers lower than my husband's meter -hubby checked)

I suspected those numbers were so low because of the high dose from the vet.

this morning at 6:32 the reading was 137 and at 10:31 it was 178... then at 3:26 it was 225. So when I check again soon if it is still over 200 should I give 1U? Thanks for your help.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  2. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello Kathy. Welcome...
    It's wonderful that you tested Buddy before giving him a dose. Four units is a LOT of insulin to start off with. In fact, 4 units is high, just in general. I'm not sure what others would suggest, and I certainly hope that someone else chimes in. I'm relatively new, but I believe it would be best to start with a small dose - I think .5U would be good. His numbers have been low, so he may not need that much. Starting low gives you the opportunity not to miss the dose that's best for him. Too much insulin can make him go low, which in turn could cause his BG to "bounce" high. It's the bodies way of protecting itself from hypo numbers. So start low, and then increase in half unit doses as needed. Make sure you get some BG readings in the middle of his cycles, because that will help you determine if you should increase the dose. If his mid cycle BG numbers are going too low, you wouldn't want to increase the dose. Basically, knowing where his BG is in between cycles allow you to know if the dose is correct for him. Testing him before doses allows you to know if you should shoot or skip the dose.
    If you've recently changed his diet to a low carb one, exercise caution with his dose, as changing his diet can greatly and quickly reduce his BG.

3. Kathy1966

Kathy1966 Member

Thank you so much for your reply. I just checked him again at 6:19 and it was 181. I guess that means no insulin since it's under 200 and I am a newbie.. it is down from where it was at 3:26 pm and yes I'm feeding him low carb. He's eating friskies pate right now.