how often do you feed your diabetic cat?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LuAnn, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuAnn

LuAnn Member

how often do you feed your diabetic cat?

2. beggargirl

beggargirl Member

I keep wet food available at all times except for 1-2 hours before her test/injections

LuAnn likes this.
  3. LuAnn

LuAnn Member

thank you!!

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I used to feed at shot time and again at +3 and +5. Both cycles.
    Not usually after that unless she was dropping low.

LuAnn likes this.
  5. Laudie

Laudie Member

We feed one 3oz can anywhere from 6-8am and then another 3oz can between 6-8pm typically.

LuAnn likes this.
  6. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

My cats free feed wet food all day (and night). They do most of their eating before +5, but will sometimes snack a little after that.

LuAnn likes this.
  7. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I feed 4 times a day (every 6 hours) and leftovers stay out for grazing.

LuAnn likes this.
  8. Robbie & Oreo

Robbie & Oreo Member

What I've noticed is that Oreo eats more often now that she's solely on wet food. Seems like the dry food was more filling, though not as good for her. Glad to hear I'm not the only one feeding several times per day. After going thru bouts of not wanting to eat, I'm just so happy that her appy is good!

LuAnn likes this.
  9. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

My cats free feed all day and night

LuAnn likes this.
  10. LuAnn

LuAnn Member

I appreciate all the input, thank you everyone!!

11. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

Mine are fed three times a day. Used to be free fed dry.

12. JeanW

JeanW Member

My diabetic cat free feeds pretty much all day and all night - advice I got from this board - and she has done SO much better since starting her free feeding. My vets want me to feed her twice a day only but that didn't work well for her BG numbers and also resulted in a very thin very very unhappy kitty. Never again will I do that.

For my cat, free feeding has been the best thing. It has helped her BG numbers to remain more steady and avoid the huge drops and spikes.

13. HereKittyKittyKitty

HereKittyKittyKitty Member

The cat gets fed 9 Lives chicken pate in the morning, 9 Lives turkey pate in the afternoon, and 9 Lives liver/bacon pate at night. The cans are left out in between (free feeding). He also gets a few Orijen freeze dried dog treats (Regional Red or Beef) before each meal. Sometimes he catches and eats a mouse, too :D

14. Kya’s Mom 1983

Kya’s Mom 1983 Member

I feed 4 times a day and don’t have an option to free feed as mine Kya eats everything in one sitting. She does seem to eat more as well now that she is on wet food. Before vet visit and diagnosis she got sick and stopped eating for a day before I took her. I’m glad her appetite is back but sometimes she seems insatiable.

15. HereKittyKittyKitty

HereKittyKittyKitty Member

Changed to Fancy Feast and Whole Bites Freeze Dried Dog Treats. FF 3x a day (different flavors) with the cans left out until the next morning. Treats once a day. Evidently there are more calories in FF than 9 Lives, so he doesn't need four cans, as I originally thought. YAY!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.