? How often do you feed?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by primalkitty, Jun 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Hello all,

So, I got an article in an email (see below). Most important thing I read was "In general, we achieve better blood glucose regulation when we feed equally portioned meals, 12 hours apart and give the insulin at the time of the meal. "

I feed 3x per day. 8:00 am, 2:00 and 8:00 pm. Is this why Griff's numbers are not coming down??? Should I switch to 2x per day to see if this helps his BS?

Thank you!

https://www.adwdiabetes.com/articles/diabetic-pet-always-pestering-food?utm_source=bm23&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Continue+Reading&utm_content=Is+Your+Diabetic+Pet+Always+Pestering+You+for+Food?&utm_campaign=06/08/2017

2. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA) Well-Known Member

Two times a day is not optimal for diabetic cats. I feed Shaak 8 times every 24 hours, I think we all do a variety of feedings, but I think most of us feed several times throughout 24 hours.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Two feedings didn't sit well with my boy either. He gets 4 feedings a day, portions are in my signature :)

4. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

So maybe he needs to eat more often? He seems hungry all the time and I figured it was/is a symptom of diabetes.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Reason for edit: add info
  5. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

I think smaller portions thru the day better for FD kitty than 2 large servings which is old vet school of thinking. Even human diabetics are advised to eat smaller portions - it's easier on the pancreas.

Squeakycats likes this.
  6. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Chuck did "ok" on two meals a day but I did NOT. He drove me absolutely insane and it broke my heart to see him so hungry. He stared to do the "empty stomach" puke thing too. Now I feed him most of his meal twice a day with snacks in between.

7. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

Shoot, now I feel bad. Poor G'iffy! :( Well, starting tomorrow I will up the feed times. I know the other kitties will enjoy, too! They are still used to free feeding on kibble, I think.

Squeakycats likes this.
  8. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

I feed every 4 hours around the clock, even the 3 years she was in remission. The vet thought it was a great idea, it keeps sugar stable. Everything I have read says many small meals throughout the day is best.

9. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

That is what I was thinking about doing, too. So, instead of 3x per day he will get 4x per day. I did just check his weight and it hasn't changed since diagnosis, so at least he is getting the correct calories just needs more frequent.

I sure hope this helps his BS numbers!!!

Thanks everyone!

10. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Phoebe was eating every 2 1/2 hours when her sugars were higher. Now she can go 3 hours. At night I put a frozen catfood cube out so she eats it by +5 and nothing after +6 until amps. Good luck with your food baby :) head bumps

primalkitty likes this.
  11. primalkitty

primalkitty Member

I cannot do "around the clock", but, I like the frozen idea. I have 7 cats, so would I just put out several cubes before my bed time?

12. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Babu does several meals a day between 5 and 6, and when he was on the juice I had to feed him mid cycle to stir things a little bit and try and avoid the diving and boucing that he liked to do a lot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.