How often do you take your cat to the vet?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Val and Sebastian, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Val and Sebastian

Val and Sebastian Member

I don't know if I'm a bad cat owner or what. Our cats haven't been vaccinated in years (strictly indoor only-- no contact with other animals), and Sebastian hasn't been back since his diabetes diagnosis a little over a year ago. He is a freaky bad cat at the vet-- so bad that our old vet told us not to bring him back unless we really needed to. When he had an overnight stay a few years ago after a urinary tract blockage, he broke off the bottom half of one of his teeth, we assume trying to bite the cage.

Should he be going in for some kind of checkup though? No one has mentioned it when we go in for insulin refills.

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

depending on age of cat - it's probably a good idea to do a check up, urinalysis and blood work up at least once a year - kind of like a annual physical for people (oops - I don't really do that either)... but you get the idea.

this is especially important as cats get older and other things can happen.

3. cjleo

cjleo Member

Hi there,

Do you have a baseline blood work profile for your cats? There are two levels that I hear about - a regular and a senior panel. Checks for blood, thyroid, kidney and liver issues.

As long as you're not required to vaccinate for rabies, it would appear you are fine.

My rule of thumb is get an age appropriate blood panel baseline. Do it every 2-3 years unless there is a problem. The vets encourage annual blood panels and 6 month exams on diabetics. With 5 owned cats and a few fosters, I can't afford their recommendations. I'm still in the vet's office often enough with my crew - dentals and occasional bites when someone gets rambunctious. Seems like no one in my house has missed an annual visit lately :smile:

Claudia

4. Val and Sebastian

Val and Sebastian Member

Our cats are 7 (Sebastian) and 5 (civvie). I have no idea what's on file for either of them. Sebastian had all manner of tests run when he was diagnosed. Perhaps I'll check with the vet and see what she recommends at this point (within reason!).

5. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

My goal is yearly visits, sometimes twice yearly for my real senior citizens. (16 and 19) However, we are talking about my cats and they generally find reasons to go in more frequently than that.

6. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I recommend getting a copy os your cats records and after every vet visit to ask for a copy of the notes. This way you always know what is what and if you have tpo go to er you have records and tests to provide.

7. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

I have one civvie, Muddy, who goes about every two years. Strictly an indoor kitty and she goes to a vet with several days of "open hours." That means no appointment needed, so I can catch her at my and her convenience.

Krueger, my really big guy and civvie #2, has broken several carriers in my efforts to take him to the vet. We spent 3 sleepless nights the last time, he busted up an airport quality carrier. He gets a visit once a year from a vet who makes house calls for routine stuff. It took me 6 months to locate her. She charges a flat $30 to come visit and then the usual per vaccine etc. If Krueger ever needs to go to an actual vet office...she will sedate and transport him. He has the name Krueger, Freddie Krueger...for a reason. :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.