How often do you test when OTJ?

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Julius' Mom, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julius' Mom

Julius' Mom Member

How often do you all test once OTJ? Julius has been OTJ for almost 3 weeks, and I am testing twice a day...
    thanks!

2. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

You can relax! Wean yourself off. Most of us test more at first, then gradually decrease. You definitely do not need to test twice daily. Try once daily, then once weekly. Eventually, you may decrease further. (I'm at once per month.) Just keep an eye on the signs you know - changes in the 5 p's.
    ENJOY!

3. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Mocha is just recently OTJ and we are testing about once a week .. Since she has never minded being tested I feel comfortable continuing that pace for a good bit .. I iz to skered to not test! nailbite_smile

4. Julius' Mom

Julius' Mom Member

I am scared not to test either!! He is running around the house like a madman this morning!! His latest thing is he brings a mouse to bed... nite before last he was sleeping with it, now he just brings it to bed and 'kills it' and messes the covers up!! I think he doing better than before he had FD, maybe diet? who knows! I am really happy though as I am sure you are too!!!

5. Kathy and Kitty

Devon, how nice to see you in the Honeymooners forum!!!!!!!

Remember, you can mix up your test times now - that may give you added security. Test right before morning meal, get an afternoon check, test about 2-3 hours after a meal to be sure BG is handling that event.

6. PeterDevonMocha

Thanks Kathy .. the honeymooners forum is almost like disneyworld :lol: We have been trying to switch up test times for mocha .. last night we got a test in about an hour after she ate .. she was at 62 .. she got lots of kisses and praise!

And the same thing here .. just like julius mocha is running around the house like a mad woman .. when twix wears out she comes and lays down by me and we just watch mocha ... it's pretty entertaining!

7. Kathy and Kitty

It is always great to see how good the kitties feel when they are healthy.

I always wished Kitty would sleep with us, but he never has. He thinks beans keep him from having a good nap.

In fact, he gives me a dirty look whenever I'm sitting in one of the multiple soft places (aka chairs) he has decided is his -- like, "What are you doing in my bed? You can leave now." :lol:

8. PeterDevonMocha

Mocha sleeps with us each night .. she always has, but since her DX we lock her up in our room at night, easier to test that way .. She is not a heavy sleeper and when we move about and wake her up, she let's us know she isn't happy .. in her sweet vocal siamese way :lol:

9. Julius' Mom

Julius' Mom Member

How funny I have a half siamese half tabby and he yowls at nite! I swear... its like CAIRO!! SHUT UP!! good to know others have vocal siamese too!

10. PeterDevonMocha

mocha is the most vocal cat we have ever seen .. in fact, when she was a kitten we took her back to the vet cause we honestly thought she was rabid with her noises .. but the vet informed us we were in for a quite a ride ... he was dead on.

11. Kathy and Kitty

And then there are kitties like Kitty, who can't really get out a good meow even when he wants to. He opens his mouth, and a sad little "ah" comes out. :roll: He's a smart guy, though. He has other ways of making his presence known.

And I am planning to buy a pet doorbell for the porch!! :mrgreen: Very excited. Not cheap, about $75, but it rings a doorbell when weight of even 7 pounds is on it. He will never have to wait by the door again. :RAHCAT

12. PeterDevonMocha

:lol: That is to funny!

13. Frip&Grip

Frip&Grip Member

I don’t think there is a guideline… Frip has been OTJ since January…

I continued testing him twice a day at his regular PS time for about two months… then went down to once a day... now, I’m testing every 2 days doing a curve (changing testing time)… We feel comfortable there for now… I have plenty of strips (100 will last me ½ year)… :D

14. Jezebel

Jezebel Member

It is hard to stop testing... :)
    I test every 2 weeks or so now.
    Debie & Jezebel

15. Mowgli and Keri

Mowgli and Keri Member

I know my reply is a bit late, but I too when he first came off was still twice a day min, then every other day and so on... i still do probably twice a week when I can...
    My other TWO have been diagnosed with early stage CRF, for the record, CRF is making FD look easy!!! ~sigh~

But I continue to monitor him, an he putting on weight again, so I am going to try to monitor more frequently and keep an eye on his weight AND his numbers....

16. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

It's been 2 1/2 weeks since Cedric has needed insulin, and I have gone down to testing once per day. yesterday I tested him after food (almost a hour I think), today it will be at about 4:45 when I get home, before he gets some dinner.

17. jeannes

jeannes Member

Good to know how much to test. I may be a bit obsessive, but I'm still testing at least once a day. Don't know why I'm so worried, Sebastian is doing great these past 5 weeks.

Sebastian is a Lynx Point Siamese mix, and boy, is he vocal! Right now he is letting me know he needs his midnight snack. Both my cats are Siamese mixes, and it is never quiet around here. The other one is blind, I think she uses a feline version of sonar to get around!

haha_smiley

18. I was anxious as hell twice a day, every day for 2 weeks, just somehow "knowing" that Bob was gonna throw me a 150 or worse. Didn't happen! Since then, a little less apprehensive, but still crossing my fingers once a day when I here the "beep", then open my eyes and look down at a perfectly beautiful mid 60s or 70s
    Today, I was going crazy, but forced myself to not test for the first time since May. I made it. So did Bob. Whew.

I will check him again tomorrow, as I am still trying to get his potassium up with subq fluids 2x a week. He's got a checkup in 3 weeks to see if that number rises to mid-normal range (low end of normal last checkup). Figure I'm poking him with a harpoon, he won't even notice a poke in the ear.

I was sitting there looking at him last night, and he looked at me and stared....felt so damn wonderful. Then I asked him, "OK Bob, what do we do NOW?". He yawned and took a nap. Guess that was good advice.

Carl and Bob in SC

19. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

I look forward to joining this group down the road... still a newbie, but have seen massive changes in the past month. My boy is a svelte 14# (21.6# in June) and doing fairly well at keeping his numbers down. Hoping he's one of the lucky 35% ...joining this crowd is something to aspire to!

Grayson's mom Lu-Ann

20. Heather.Post

Heather.Post New Member

My girl Radley has been OTJ for two weeks as of today. I tested her 2x/day for the first week and now have been testing every couple of days. My vet told me I really could test once every week or two unless I see a change, but I've been too nervous to do that! Her numbers haven't been as good as what I'm seeing here... she been in the range of 77-127, usually in the upper 80s or 90s. I thought I was supposed to test after she ate. I'm seeing now, though, that it's better to wait a few hours? She's more of a grazer and tends to eat a few bites here and there, so she never really eats a "full meal" at one time. I'm also a little curious because I've heard that human glucometers produce lower numbers than the animal ones. Does anybody know how much? I'm using the One Touch Ultra Mini. Sorry for all of the questions! I thought I had this diabetes thing down and then she threw me for a loop. A good loop... but I kind of feel like I'm starting all over again :).

Just a little of her history... she was diagnosed 5/06 and was on vetsulin for almost 4 1/2 years and switched to Lantus about 1 1/2 years ago. She did very well on both of those insulins. I feed her one of the low carb fancy feast classic varieties and dry dm, although she prefers the dry dm and eats mostly that. I never really expected her to go OTJ, so while I'm very excited... I'm also very nervous!

Thank you!
    Heather & Radley

21. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Basil has been OTJ for two years and 3 months and I test him monthly unless I see something I don't like. Recently, I got a high number and now we are back to doing lots of spot checking following a curve.

As for vocal, well, Basil is LOUD in the middle of the night and he sounds like he is talking!

Keri, I have a dog with early stage RF. I cook for him and he is doing beautifully. Do you know about the site called Nutritiondata.com? You can put in your recipe and get a full breakdown, including the dreaded phosphorous, for the whole thing or portions.

There is also a good site called Dogaware.com the has a section on renal diet. Not useful directly, I know, but perhaps indirectly for its discussions of which foods have how much phosphorous.

22. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

This "person" needs to go!

23. KittyMom777

KittyMom777 Member

Hi....on day 2 of OTJ so technically not officially there yet - but I am trying to cut down to testing twice a day - and my silly boy asks to be tested. Right now he is at the closed kitchen door where we test, mewing his head off for me to come and test him. Okay boy, now you need to wean yourself off this now....mommy too!

Juliet and Silver (who is trying hard to pack his bags for the Falls - 12 more days Silver..............

24. aochoa

aochoa Member

Bruno has been OTJ since last October, and I tested every day, then even had nightmares that I tested and he gave me a high because I didn´t test one day. Now, I test once every week. I had a lot of work for a couple of weeks and forgot to test but when I checked again his numbers were normal. Even without checking I keep an eye on his 5 p´s and everything looks fine.

It is great to post here¡¡

:p

25. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Happy Christmas everyone.

Remi has just had his two week 'off the juice party' and so I guess I can post in this forum now :)

I think I will continue to test him twice a day for the next few weeks, especially as he has just had to start cisapride for acid reflux and this has lactose in it. I am worried this will affect his levels but we do need to try to get this under control as it affectshis asthma and makes him uncomfortable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.