How often to feed?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mimis mom, Dec 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mimis mom

Mimis mom Well-Known Member

:woot:Is there a “too often” option? I’ve been doing every 2 hours (sometimes 2.5) and I just started to wonder if that might be too often? Like does her blood sugar need time to dip so her insulin can work- or was that sentence silly seeing I’m still learning how diabeetus (diabetes) works? :bookworm:

On the contrary how often is not often enough?

2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I suppose it depends on the kitty! Is she a grazer or will she scarf down everything immediately? Free feeding is encouraged but some kitties don't have the self-control to nibble at leisure. Alternately, you usually want to give most food before nadir so they don't "use up" the rest of the insulin early in the cycle. :)

Mimis mom likes this.
  3. Mimis mom

How can I know when her nadir is because every cat is different right? Do nadirs change every cycle or once you know your cats nadir that’s it

4. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

You'll have to think of it as a moving target, I'm afraid. Testing at various times every day and seeing when they commonly hit their lowest before heading up again will indicate nadir, but for any cat they could have the same nadir for months... and then one day it changes.

5. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Hi Rosa

Feeding every 2-2.5 hours is not too often. Many whose cats are on Lantus feed at PS, +1, +2, and +3. Different cats might need different feeding schedules depending on onset, nadir, and duration.

6. Mimis mom

How will I know what Mimi needs? I think she would eat every hour if she could. She’s always hungry which is a good thing because the minute she stops being hungry is a call for an emergency

7. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

Weigh Mimi weekly and look at her body condition score to decide what she should weigh then you can calculate the number of calories she should eat in a day.

I've learned that cats that are unregulated tend to have a ravenous appetite. When she doesn't act like she's starving, it might actually mean her glucose numbers are where they should be.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.