How quickly should I see results?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Asiina & Alex(GA), Jan 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asiina & Alex(GA)

Asiina & Alex(GA) Member

Alex was just diagnosed last week and got him some ProZinc insulin on Monday, he's on 1U twice a day to start out with. I wasn't able to get a glucometer until today, checked as soon as I got it and then just now. It's still quite high at 16. He was at 21.5 with the original bloodwork after 12 hours of fasting, but he's a very nervous traveler so no doubt his sugar spiked with all that fear and so it's possible he hasn't changed at all.

My vet wants to stay at 1U and have me do a curve at 10 days before adjusting. I know it's only been a few days (and really only 4 shots so far) but when will I likely start seeing results if they're going to come? Should it be already happening or do I just need to be patient for another week and wait until I do the curve. Every day I see my poor boy looking sick and tired and just not himself is really hard.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

It's great that you're testing and already have your spreadsheet set up. :) The starting dose is a good one. I'd continue at 1.0 u for a few more days. It's very important to test before you give insulin. All food has to be withheld for at least two hours beforehand so the BG isn't food elevated. Here's the basic testing routine we recommend:
    1. test every day AM and PM before feeding and injecting (no food at least 2 hours before) to see if the planned dose is safe
    2. test at least once near mid cycle or at bedtime daily to see how low the BG goes
    3. do extra tests on days off to fill in the response picture
    4. if indicated by consistently high numbers on your spreadsheet, increase the dose by no more than 0.25 u at a time so you don't accidentally go right past a good dose
    5. post here for advice whenever you're confused or unsure of what to do.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Kris just said much of what I was going to say. :) When you get pre-shot tests and mid-cycle tests, you will be able to see the impact of the insulin you are giving. It can take a few days to start seeing results. Staying on the initial dose at least a week is a good idea.

4. Asiina & Alex(GA)

Asiina & Alex(GA) Member

You can see on my sheet when the delivery of the glucometer arrived today, because I did it immediately. I wasn't sure about giving shots without testing, but the vet insisted that waiting was a bad idea. Tonight I'll test again before I feed him and shoot, and from then on I'll get on schedule. I'm slowly pushing back the time from the initial shot (which again was as soon as it was available) to where I want it which will probably be around 9 am/pm and then it should stay steady at that time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.