How soon does food affect glucose?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by majandra, Oct 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

I've been testing Rhubarb regularly for a week now. It doesn't seem to matter when I test her- her numbers are always similar.

How long after she eats should I see a change on the meter? I would really like to try and get a couple tests in at what should be peak glucose so I can see how high it gets.

Paigeworthy likes this.
  2. majandra

I found a peer reviewed paper answering my question. In healthy cats, the mean peak occurred between 4 and 6 hours after eating a moderate carb meal.

Anyone interested in reading the full study, I can see if I can share a copy.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

We're always interested in studies that have anything to do with our sugarcats!

Laura bb likes this.
  4. majandra

Hopefully this works!
    The paper is on glucose and insulin in a sample of normal cats.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Reason for edit: typo
  5. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

That's an interesting paper, and really reinforces the importance of feeding cats a low carbohydrate diet.

Regarding Rhubarb and her relatively stable blood glucose levels; you may not be seeing much variance because you are feeding a low carb diet, which will have far less impact on the blood glucose levels. In the study the cats were being fed a diet with 25% calories from carbs, I think. They describe that as a 'moderate' carb diet, but I think we'd call that 'high' here, haha! Although there are certainly foods out there with higher carb concentrations than that...

Eliz

majandra likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.