How soon to recheck UTI after a/b's...Now trace ketones

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by carolynandlatte, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Hey there!
    I took Latte in for a urinalysis, c/s yesterday because she had obvious signs of a bad UTI. We have been through dozens of these, so Im very familiar when she has one. Unfortunately they were unable to get urine, other than a drop (not sterile). They cultured it anyway, but planned on having me bring her back in today. I did take an a/b home (orbax), just in case she got worse, then I could make the choice to give it. She did continue to urinate small amounts everywhere, in/out of box, some bloody urine, etc. So at 11pm I gave it to her. I couldnt watch her like this anymore.

So I only have 5 days of the orbax and then they want to recheck same day or next day after last dose.

1. 5 days on the a/b does not seem long enough. though we dont know if its the right one, so maybe thats all we should do?

2. How long does the a/b need to clear in order to get valid test results back?

The first thing the vet asked was if they could shave her bottom. :cry: So sad. I knew that was first on my list, and it had to get done. Apparently it was first on hers as well. I turned down the steroid creme (Latte is already on 10mg prednisolone/daily). Her numbers are high enough...probably caused the uti. She then suggested zinc oxide, but i opted for shea butter instead. I think her bottom looks better today, as it was very red and irritated from the constant urine soaked fur. I am struggling to get it on her and clean her bottom, as it seems to trigger her to pee. Her and I tried doing it in the bathtub today, and it went okay. Of course that time she didnt pee! :lol: Any thoughts/suggestions to make it easier? She really does not make it convienient to look in the area, nor does she like it. I do have an e collar, just in case. Trying to avoid its use.

Thanks for any thoughts on her bare butt situation (it may become permanent). Also, any input with her UTI.

2. carolynandlatte

Re: How soon to recheck UTI after a/b's...and other questions

Bump

urinated self twice last night and woke to urine on the floor near LB. Not sure this a/b is helping. BG's sky high.

Five days of orbax will be done Tuesday night. Appt is set for Tuesday afternoon. Can move it to Thursday if she needs more time on the a/b and a few days off to make sure tests come back accurate. Or, stop a/b on Monday and keep appt for tuesday?

Does anyone know how long the a/b needs to clear the system to get accurate results on a u/a, c/s?!?!

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry to read this. I don't have any insight to help you, just wanted to send healing vines to Miss Latte.

4. carolynandlatte

Latte has trace ketones now, and numbers are not going down.
    Will try to get her into the vet first thing in the a.m.

You can follow more specifics on her situation here:
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13460&p=135380#p135380

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.