How to adjust diet

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by run4life10, Jan 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. run4life10

run4life10 New Member

So my sweet Pumpkin, who would previously willingly eat almost anything you put in front of her, has decided that she now will only eat the prescription DM canned food after they gave it to her at the vet the other day. I have been trying to switch her to more natural foods and was planning to start making my own raw meals for her (I ordered some frozen raw entrees in the meantime). But now I literally cannot get her to eat ANYTHING else. If I put anything else in front of her, she'll just look at me and cry until I break out one of the cans. I tried mixing even just a tiny bit of the raw food into a bunch of the canned food and mashed it all up, but she knew, and she completely refused to eat it. I can't just wait her out because she needs to gain weight and because I don't want her blood sugar to get too low, so I always end up giving in and just giving her the can without anything mixed in (I swear, even just the tiniest bit of anything else and she knows it). Does anyone have any suggestions for weaning her off this food? She used to eat everything, so this is completely bizarre to me. Do you think it's just a phase she's going through?

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

That’s amazing as most cats don’t like prescription foods.
    You could try feeding her some raw chicken hearts. Also liver... most cats love liver but they can only have a small piece a day about the size of the top joint of your index finger.
    Have you tried a scrambled egg just to get her to eat something else.
    Maybe sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on some canned food.
    When I introduce a new food I do it at the first meal of the day when they are really hungry.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Well it could be worse...

Although that stuff is so expensive.

Does she like FortiFlora or pure bites or cheese? You could try that on top

4. run4life10

run4life10 New Member

Well now I have bigger problems, as she is refusing to eat at all. I went to give her a can for dinner last night, and she wouldn't eat it. She didn't eat breakfast this morning either, so now she has not eaten anything since yesterday morning around 8am. She acts like she's hungry, she will come up crying and begging for food, runs over to her food dish when I bring it, sniffs it, maybe takes a bite or two, and then just looks at me and cries more or just walks away. She keeps acting like she's starving but she just won't eat. I even tried giving her some dry food, she acted very excited over it at first, but again after a couple bites she just wasn't interested. I'm starting to get really worried about her, this cat literally used to eat everything and has never turned down food, I'm not sure what's going on but I'm starting to worry.

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Could be that Pumpkin is nauseous. The good drugs for that are Cerinia ( a vet drug) and Ondansetron (human drug). Both require a script.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with Larry. It sounds like she is nauseous. The two meds Larry suggested are very good. I’d definitely try those.

7. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

My civie Beni has a stopped up nose and was having trouble eating until I got him some Weruva. The Mack & Jack and Asian Fusion were hits with him and Dusty. They have like 1 and zero carbs respectively and are just irresistible since they're sea food. There's also Meow Luau that has pumpkin and has settled both their tummies and digestive system. A little pricey but it's worth a try. How are her teeth? Tooth pain will make them really want to eat but won't because of pain.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  8. run4life10

run4life10 New Member

I think her teeth are ok, she was just examined at the vet last week and they checked her teeth. If she was nauseous would she still be acting like she wants to eat but then just not eating? I got the impression that she was just being stubborn and wants something else. I was finally able to get her to eat a half can of food tonight, not as much as I was hoping but it’s something. I just hope I can get her to start eating some of the raw food soon.

Dusty Bones likes this.
  9. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

This is a classic sign of nausea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.