how to cut pepcid pill... with no pill cutter

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cyn and Cosmo, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

UGH! Cosmo is having a bad (for him) p-itis flare. He has thrown up at least 5-6 times since last night. Once was food. The rest of the time was all foamy stomach juice. He's licking lips and uncomfortable. Poor baby.

I got some pepcid AC for him, but I don't have a pill cutter.

Any suggestions on how to quarter this pill?

2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

See PM.

3. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

I take a heap of pills a day myself and several have to be split. Luckily most have a "break line" on them so if I place the pill on the table and press with my thumb it breaks in half. I suppose you could use a sharp knife (watch your fingers!) and score the surface don't press down just run the knife back and forth enough to make a little indent then press with your thumb it might break in half then do the same to the half to make a qaurter. Give it a try.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Before I bought a pill cutter I used a knife and a semi-firm surface. I place the Pepcid on the semi-firm surface and put the knife blade in the middle of the pill and applied pressure. The semi-firm surface helps the pill from moving and flying a way. However, still do it in a place where you can find the any flown pieces.

5. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

thanks all.

sharp knife and firm surface did the trick. I tried scoring it, but it's a teensy tinsy pill.

I think it made him feel better. I haven't heard any barfusing since 10am.

ETA: of course, 10 min after I post that he hasn't barfed since 10am, he gets up and barfs. I hope the pepcid made it into his system and didn't get thrown up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.