? how to feed a diabetic cat?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by minxkohl&mush, May 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minxkohl&mush

minxkohl&mush Member

Have 2 cats, 1 has diabetes. How often to feed before & after shot?
    Vet says feed, pull up food, wait 15 minutes,then give the shot.
    Don't feed again for 12 hours! Tried this, cats were on dry, changed
    to wet. They are used to self feeding.
    Any suggestions?

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

What insulin and what dose?
    For the long acting insulins of ProZinc, Lantus, Levemir, BCP PZI, it is OK to leave the low carb food out for grazing.
    For Humulin or Novolin N, due to their harsh action, feeding about 30 minutes before injecting helps ease the drop in glucose so it isn't as severe.
    Regardless of insulin type, we strongly advocate home blood glucose testing to help keep your cat safe from going too low, into hypoglycemia, which can be fatal. You can use an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart ReliOn Confirm or Confirm Micro (aka the Glucocard 01 or 01 Mini at ADW), or the Target Up and Up, matching test strips, and lancets for alternate site testing (they are 25-28 gauge).

What are you feeding? Cat Info is a terrific feline nutrition resource, but don't make any food changes until you are home testing.

3. Erinia

Erinia Member

I have 4 cats (1 diabetic, 3 civvies). I just started feeding Young Again (changed from Wysong Epigen). I always keep a scoop of dry out since I work 12-14 hour days. I also feed 3-4 cans of Grreat Choice wet in the mornings, and the same at night. I adjust the wet food offering based on how much is left when I get home/wake up. Doing this keeps my cat's blood sugar pretty stable (with his shot), and keeps the other cats happy.

4. minxkohl&mush

minxkohl&mush Member

5. minxkohl&mush

minxkohl&mush Member

Went to food list and only feeding wet. Mush is on
    Prozinc and 2 lines on the needle, is that .2cc?
    Vet said nothing about testing, and didn't say to feed him only wet. I'm so glad i found this site!!

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The very first line is the 0.
    The next one, if it is a U-100 syringe with half unit markings, is 0.5 units when using a U-100 insulin.
    For ProZinc, you multiply 0.5 by 0.4 to get 0.2 units (insulin is measured in units, not cc, nor mL).

7. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You can leave food out for the first 3-4 hours after the shot of N. Then the N starts wearing off and feeding will zoom the glucose up quickly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.