How to measure water intake?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Debbie & Mishka, Feb 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debbie & Mishka

Debbie & Mishka Member

Anyone have suggestions on how to measure how much water your cat drinks? I feel like Mishka's drinking more water although his BG has been below 250 for the past week. Increase in trips to the litter box as well -- most two "pees" in 12 hour period. Sometimes one. Thanks.

2. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

I took up all water apart from one vessel.
    I used a plastic measuring jug which I filled to the litre mark and noted how much was gone each morning.

I still put a little water in with his food. I ensured if Ty had a walk out he couldn't quaff from the duck pots or pond.

Debbie & Mishka and Sylvie like this.
  3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Since Mia went on insulin and changed to a wet food diet, I never see her drink water.. literally, never. I have to remember to clean/refill the bowl because the level never changes. The moisture content in the wet food is so high, and I add bone broth and water to it.

Do you think he is drinking more than he did before going on insulin? When I hear about excessive drinking, my first thought is that the BG is staying too high, and my second thought is hyperthyroidism - has he been checked for that?

Debbie & Mishka and Sylvie like this.
  4. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

is mishka still eating dry food? even after BG went down and still grazing on dry food, my cat still drank a good amount of water everyday, somedays more than others.
    now like furbabies mention, mine is no longer drinking water either nor are any of the other cats and even the dog that got changed to all wet food, only drinks water after her walk now..

0ne-two pees in 12hrs isn't that much, all of our cats go that much or more too and its always more than a golfball size at a time.
    i think if not eating dry and BG gets under 200 (250 is still high for some cats) you should see a regular decrease in water intake, unless of course your kitty just loves water (we have one that will drink from faucet if we let him wether he is thirsty or not because he just loves to do so).

As for measuring how much your cat is drinking, measuring water you put into bowl at a particular time everyday and emptying what's left in bowl back into measuring cup at same time everyday, would be a way to figure it out.

5. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Hard to tell unless you only have one cat. Silver used to play in his water when he was at his highest BG. I now know that’s one of his signs. Another is he sneezes a lot! Never when numbers lower.

Debbie & Mishka likes this.
  6. Debbie & Mishka

Debbie & Mishka Member

No, he is definitely drinking less than before he was on insulin!!! Yes, he has been tested for hyperthyroidism. And now that I think of it, he has always drank a fair amount of water. I'll have to start measuring. Thanks for the advice! :)

7. Debbie & Mishka

Debbie & Mishka Member

Thank you! Mishka is only eating FF pate. He has not had dry food since first dx of diabetes in 2016 (he was in remission for awhile). He is definitely drinking less than before he was on insulin. At least there are no empty water bowls!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.