How to prepare for dental cleaning?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Camcat, Jan 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Camcat

Camcat Member

Hi All! My darling kitty is going to have a dental cleaning soon. This is the first one she (and I) have ever done. I know diabetic cats are at higher risk during anesthesia, and I've been doing some research on this site. But out of curiosity, do you skip the morning shot on the day of the procedure? What have your experiences been going through a dental? Were you nervous?

2. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

I think the protocol for feeding/shots depends on what the vet performing the dental tells you. Some people are instructed to feed and give insulin as normal, some are told to give half a dose, etc. I was instructed not to feed my kitty after 8pm and to skip her morning injection and they just monitored her BG during the procedure.

I was of course a nervous wreck during Sophie’s dental, but she had an excellent board certified team and she came out fine, even with the 4 extractions she needed. I would definitely make sure they do X-rays and if your cat needs extractions they should be taken both before and after.

Camcat and Diana&Tom like this.
  3. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Agree with Sarah above - do what your vet tells you, they will be used to working in a certain way and it's best that they keep to that.

I understand your nerves (my civvie Sapphire had a dental two weeks ago) but it helped to have updates from the vet during the day so you're not fretting for hours at a time but can be reassured at certain points that all is going to plan.

Good luck!

Camcat and Sarah&Soph like this.
  4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

This post has general information about dental procedures and information you want to know.

I'm always nervous if my cat is having any kind of procedure let alone one involving anesthesia. I have always skipped the morning shot. Anesthesia can lower BG numbers and my kitty had an early nadir.I would have rather dealt with high numbers after than low numbers during a dental.

Camcat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.