How to switch insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by FrostD, May 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

For anyone that's seen my other posts, no I'm not looking to switch right now, that would be too many changes at once..just thinking forward since it seems like Vetsulin may not be the best choice, not sure I want him on it long term.

I tried running a search here but couldn't find anything, a few questions:
    - Are there recommended situations to, and not to, change insulins? (barring the obvious cases of remission or regulation). For example, being unregulated for months on a particular insulin might warrant a change? But don't attempt a change if certain health issues, haven't been on it long enough etc.
    - Are there guidelines for switching between each kind?

Now that I've typed all this out, guess I better go check the aaha guidelines :confused:

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Heather & Hwy 99

Heather & Hwy 99 Member

Hi, I am new here as well but wanted to share my humble opinion and agree with you as I just switched from Vetsulin to Lantus (based off recommendations from members here and AAHA guidelines) I switched after only getting 3 days of BG data and because of all the changes in insulin and food at same time (combined with limited data) I am now struggling even worse to make sense of things! I wish I had had your foresight and gotten a little more data and time under our belt before making that change! We havent experienced any obvious adverse side effects though from switching FYI :)

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi ladies,
    Vetsulin is not a great insulin for cats. It is meant for dogs. Cats have a different rate of metabolism which means the Vetsulin does not last long enough and has a quick sharp start, unlike Lantus which is a longer lasting, more gentle insulin and great from cats.
    Personally I would not stay on Vetsulin if I could swap to Lantus or similar insulin.
    I wouldn't do the swap if you are changing something else such as swapping over to a low carb food. Always just do one change at a time.

With insulins like Lantus or levemir or Prozinc we usually say to try the insulin for 6 months before swapping but those three insulins are very suitable for cats. With Vetsulin/caninsulin they are not suitable so there is no point in staying on it for 6 months.

Don't forget to test during the pm cycle. It is just as important as the am cycle. Many cats drop lower at night so always get a before bed test in. If it is lower than the preshot, get up later to check that the BG hasn't dropped too low.

When swapping to another insulin, we take into account what dose the cat has been on already. And it is just a matter of finishing with the first insulin in one cycle and starting the new insulin at the next due preshot.
    When you are ready to swap, post and ask for advice on the dose.
    Keep asking questoions.
    Heather if you need specific help, I would start your own thread so we can help you.:)

4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Peeked at your spreadsheet, no wonder! I'd post in the Lantus group maybe...I find it odd that you went from Vetsulin once a day, halved the dose to do 2x, but using a more concentrated insulin. Rough math, but I think you're giving almost 2.5x the amount of insulin you were before? Might be why Hwy is dropping so low

Edit: nevermind, I think syringes account for concentration difference, so you're still giving the same amount.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Reason for edit: Correction
  5. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Thank you!

I will definitely switch, but I'd like to fi ish the transition to low carb first so I can see where his numbers land. I will get some PM tests in, just trying to coordinate all this with a baby and a geriatric dog lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.