How to test the reliability of my new BG meter?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger, May 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger

PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger Member

@Nan & Amber (GA) @Bron and Sheba (GA)

I buy a new BG meter (Sinocare) with 50 test trips from China because the test trips of it is about 10 times cheaper than OneTouch's

My question is how to test the reliability of it, and if it is reliable, how should I make the transition?

I am thinking of
    1. Comparing the result of two meter with the same blood.
    2. Comparing the result of multiple test strips with the same blood
    3. Test different BG ranges
    4. Input it to excel to calculate the average difference and standard deviation

I want to make the research method reasonably robust. Any idea? I can post my result on the forum.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Peter
    I would just put the results of both lots of tests on paper (different columns) to compare. Try and use the same drop of blood. Just put the usual one in the SS for now until you are happy the new one is reliable.
    Can you keep the SS up to date please.
    No pm cycle tests for PenPen for ages

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  3. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

I think the most simple way would be to buy a container of control solution. Control solutions have a known glucose content so if you got some and tested it with your new monitor and ithe monitor returnd the same value as what the control solution is then you know you don’t have to worry. :)

4. MamaLovesMomo

MamaLovesMomo Member

Good morning. I have a quick question. My baby Momo was diagnosed with Diabetes this May 2020, because I noticed that she had been drinking and peeing a lot. Her Bg result from the vet blood test was 580. She stayed in vet’s clinic for 4 days to stabilize her (vet said), no Ketones No DKA (thank God), but she has UTI, and she went home then. She is at prozinc, 2 u every 12 hrs. I bought AlphaTrak2, and always her BG IS HIGH. Not sure if this is accurate. It is always in 500+ or 600. But, we noticed she started to shake after insulin for a week (cause vet said make it 2.5) and her breathing rate is fast. I brought her to vet the next day and told us her BG IS DOWN to 60. How can it be this ALPHA TRAK 2 is always giving me high result number. I am pretty sure I followed all the procedures to properly use this kit. It does not make sense to me, that now she is in insulin and DM purina wet can food diet (her BG) even saying 600 in this Alphatrak2, while the vet is seeing 60. Anyone suggest it may be defective? Or is the reading really correct? I am so confused. And now down to 1 unit every 12 hours. But her breathing before insulin and after is still a little fast, but not as fast when she was in 2 u. She is playing really good, eating good, no more peeing a lot. I gave her only around .50-.60 unit last night. Can someone please help me give me advice if I should get another glucometer and which brand is more reliable? I am afraid she might go hypoglycemia. Thank you. This is my first time here, I appreciate any advice and help from all of you.

Attached Files:

5. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh my... this is a very serious situation.

I have to go out right now so I can't write much, but would you mind re-posting this as a separate thread? I think you are going to want some devoted attention to what is going on with your kitty.

In the meantime: most of us use glucometers for humans. In the US, many people use the Relion brand from Walmart. What you are looking for in a meter, wherever you are, is one that takes a small blood droplet and has inexpensive strips (the main ongoing expense). It really does sound like your AT is not giving you reliable results :nailbiting:, so I would go out and get a human meter and switch to that ASAP.

6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Please copy this and repost in a new thread. You wont get many responses to your questions here. These are important concerns you want as many eyes as possible on this.

WELCOME TO FDMB the best place to help you help your diabetic kitty.
    jeanne

7. jt and trouble (GA)

i hope he comes back...:(

8. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

9. MamaLovesMomo

MamaLovesMomo Member

Hello,
    Sorry for asking much. Where will I go to post a new thread? I am so new to this. Thanks a lot.

10. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Go to where is says Forums, tao on that and post it on Feline Health(Welcome and Main Forum)

11. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

No problem! Just go back to the page for this forum, or click on this link to get there: Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)

Then, up in the upper right of the page, you'll see a box for "post a new thread"

12. PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger

Me and my family member may forget or lack of self-discipline to update. :facepalm:Now I am imposing a practice of updating. Yes PenPen testing for his safety? I will try to test PenPen more often, it is tiring to take care of four cats. :blackeye: Btw PenPen no shoot yesterday since his BG was 58. And shoot this morning. When can he start remission trial?

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Peter,
    We need to see some testing in the PM cycle for Pen Pen. You haven’t done any for ages.
    Even if you skip the dose like you did for PenPen it is good to get a test in later to see what the BG is doing. We need see what his pm cycle BG are before we start a OTJ trial. He needs to be staying in green numbers.

I understand you are busy with 4 cats. And you are doing a great job!

14. jt and trouble (GA)

Peter youre doing a remarkable job with 4 kitties, 2 with diabetes? I dont think I could juggle that as well as you have.
    Keep up the good work!
    jeanne

15. MamaLovesMomo

MamaLovesMomo Member

Hello all, thank you to your kind thoughts. I went to her vet and gave her my AphaTrak2. She use it and compared to hers and she said it is pretty accurate with about -30 difference. So, I have no idea why the other vet gave me a 60 BG that time.
    I will still follow your advice and get another one just for comparison. I will post a new one for help about her breathing rate that is so fast in the forum as you all advised me to do.

See you soon there. Thank you

16. PH&MonkeyPenPenFaFaTiger

Hi all, today I analyze the data. I measure Monkey and PenPen's BG 28 times using two meters. OneTouch and Sinocare.

In short, in 0-90, the average difference is 15.3 mg/dl, % difference is 23.1%. Which means the number in Sinocare is HIGHER.

In 180-270, the average difference is 6.12 mg/dl, % difference is 23.1%.

In 270-360, the average difference is -46 mg/dl, % difference is -13.7%

in 360 or above, the average difference is -59 mg/dl, % difference is -13.2%

I am transitioning to Sinocare, which the test strip of it is 3-4 times cheaper

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.