Howdy, I'm new!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Chica, Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chica

Chica New Member

Hey everyone,

I just joined and have one 8-year-old diabetic kitty! We are just about to begin home testing so I'll likely be focusing on that. This message board has already been a great help on which BG monitors to buy (I've now got a Relion Confirm for affordability and an Alphatrak2 to make the vet happy).

Our Story:
    Hank--our fuzzy, lovable, burly man cat--was diagnosed with diabetes in August 2015. When weight/fur/personality changes became obvious, we took him to the vet to find he was diabetic and in severe ketoacidosis. He spent several days there and they had little success in reducing his sugar/ketones. We were instructed to take him home for the weekend..."there is no more that can be done". They warned that if he actually lived until Monday and his ketones were still as high, a "hard decision" would have to be made. By Sunday, his lovable personality had returned. And come Monday, the ketones were gone and his blood sugar was starting to come down.

Since August, I think it's been fairly smooth compared to some other stories. There were instant dietary changes, of course. We are a multi-cat household so occasionally he sneaks the other pate. He is pretty pissed he doesn't get dry food anymore (it's now given in place of treats to the others). He's tested weekly at the vet, but has been tough to regulate, even with curves done as recommended. He gets Prozinc two times a day (started at 1 unit, was up to 6, and is currently at 5). He just has a ravenous hunger all the time, regardless of his numbers.

About 4 weeks ago, he had his first hypoglycemic episode. That was frightening and expensive. That day, I got home late and asked where he was, as he failed to greet me at the door. "...oh he just isn't acting like himself...he wouldn't eat and has been confused all day". I asked if he got his evening shot. "...yes, why?" I went into triage mode and called for him, but he wouldn't come. "Find Hank...FIND HANK!" When we found him he was completely lethargic and started the miserable yelps. In about a minute, I had put on my shoes, let an emergency vet know our ETA, and grabbed a carrier. I drove 80 mph to get there and was convinced he'd die on the way. When I got him there, his BG level was 17. SEVENTEEN!

We figure Hank has used up 2 of his 9 lives. The emergency vet was informative with additional information, particularly on hypoglycemia and home testing--something our vet had never said was a must as long as we were bringing him in once a week. But finally, after the two curves with numbers consistently in the 400's, they've recommended it, too. So here we are!

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Chica and welcome to you and Hank to the FDMB.
    We are happy to see you and thank you for telling us your story.:)
    You have certainly had a time with your Hank with the ketones and then the hypo. They are both very scary things to happen. It is great you are going to test the blood sugar. We can help with that if you like. You will be able to keep him safe it you are testing the BSL.
    And it is good you have changed the food...I presume it is to low carb canned.
    As you know this is just a welcome forum and to get help and discuss your concerns I wonder if you could start a new thread and copy and paste this information you have written on the health page. Here is the link to it. See you on the health page!
    Bron

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

3. Liz & IttyBit

Liz & IttyBit Member

Welcome!
    Boy you've been through some scary times!
    Home testing will help so much and is a snap once you and Hank get the hang of it.
    Read all you can, ask many questions and relax, you are in good hands here.
    Post any questions you have on Feline Health and people will assist you.

4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Welcome, Chica and Hank! :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.