"Huffing" Sound

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by OptOut, Nov 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Boo seems to be feeling some discomfort lately...she's not eating much, she sneezes when I give her fluids, and she "huffs" when I pick her up. There is no fever and no outward sign of a cold. Have any of you experienced this sound? I'm scared it's heart or lungs.

Boo has acromegaly and CRF.

ETA: Someone mentioned fluid in the lungs...she feels "big" around the chest and under the arm pits.

2. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

Geez, I really don't know. I know my Remi(GA) used to huff all of the time but he did it since he was little so it was normal for him. I would probably be thinking the same as you...possible heart or lung issues. Of course I hope this isn't the case. Did it start when you started giving fluids?
    I would probably take sweet Boo to see the vet just to be sure. Good luck!

3. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

Heather, have you tried counting number of breaths per minute? Any signs that Boo's labouring to breathe?

I think Meowzi was a little huffy before, but she's been checked by two different cardiologists and they found nothing (eta: seriously) wrong. I don't even remember details; I did post about it on the old board. I can try to look for the threads later tonight.

I'm hoping Jess stops in. She may suggest chest x-rays.

4. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

She doesn't appear to have trouble breathing, but she is definitely uncomfortable with me picking her up. That's when I notice the huffing. A couple of people have mentioned fluid in the lungs...what is done to treat that? I'm to the point that I want to keep her comfortable and happy, but there won't be any major treatments.

5. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Latte was deemed 'princess huff and puff' by amys winston, who would test/shoot her from tine to time. She huffed for me a lot, too. But always complied and loved me afterwards. I think it was just her way of noting some minor irritation of what I was doing to her. I think its good to notice when it happens and how long it lasts. If it appears to be more than minor/temporary irritation than maybe talk with your vet about what may be going on.

Granted the huiffing was latte's way of showing temporary displeasure or irritation, I thank you for reminding me of one of her characteristics. I hope what ever is going on with boo will resolve. I forget boo' age. I wonder if that is related. Latte didn't start huffing until the last yr or so. And no, she had no heart problems despite all her other issues.

6. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

i don't know the answer, Heather. we haven't had to deal with fluid build-up.

ok tanya's site says diuretics. see http://felinecrf.org/related_diseases.htm#fluid_buildup

but i don't see "huffing" described as one of the symptoms http://felinecrf.org/related_diseases.htm#HCM_symptoms.

i don't think you should scare yourself without a firm diagnosis; if you're really worried, start with chest x-rays. and i'd count her resting respiration rate just to have a baseline.

btw, how much SQ fluids does Boo get in a day?

7. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

"fluid in the lungs...what is done to treat that?"
    I think lasix, if the cat can handle it. Or a tap.
    Again, I really hope it is nothing.

8. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

She gets 100 ml every other day. I know it's better to do it every day, but I just hate poking her with those huge needles (20 gauge). Maybe I'll order some smaller ones and try daily.

Boo is almost 11.

Ack...I don't like the Glomerulonephritis info...Boo has proteinurea, I think fluids are building up, she's steadily losing weight, and she has high cholesterol. And, she doesn't seem to produce near as much pee as I would expect after the fluids (although, I think she may go outside sometimes).

Carolyn, it does seem to be a sound of irritation or discomfort. I like that title for Latte - Princess Huff & Puff...I always imagined her as such a sweet girl. This gives her a bit of spice.

9. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi Heather

As predicted, I advise chest x-rays. It is unlikely to be due to heart failure; cats in heart failure rarely cough or make noise that way. They will breathe faster, even at rest, so in any cat that you suspect may have heart or lung problems, check their sleeping (resting) respiratory rate. It should be around 30 or less. If it is greater than 60 (AT REST), you should go to the emergency hospital.

Is the huff breathing in or out? If she goes outside, it's also possible that she has somehow gotten something stuck in her nose or upper throat. Do you hear any noise when she breathes in or out?

The first step is chest x-rays though. Let us know what happens.

ETA: The huff may also be a grunt of discomfort, so she should get a good physical exam at the same time to make sure there is no pain in her abdomen or chest.

10. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Hi Jess! And thank you for coming.

Huffing is breathing out, normally when I try to pick her up. I think something is uncomfortable, although not painful. Her chest and sides feel "squishy", which makes me think of fluid build-up. In fact, one week, the fluid actually made crackly, squishing noises...my vet thought that I had somehow allowed air into her body when I gave fluids. Could be, but I kind of doubt it because I always bleed the line first.

As an acro, she does snore, but that's generally the only "in" noise she makes.
    She goes outside a little, but no longer wanders anywhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.