? Human meter numbers

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ivana R, Nov 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ivana R

Ivana R Member

Hi everyone.

I misplaced my strips and won’t get new ones until Monday night so I need to go buy a human meter at a local drugstore. I normally use alphatrak 2 and the numbers need to be below
    200. What is the range for a human meter for normal under 200?

Thank you

2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

The take-action number for human meters is below 50. Generally when using Prozinc you don't want to dip under 90.

Ivana R likes this.
  3. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Normal on a human meter is roughly 50-120.

Ivana R likes this.
  4. Ivana R

Ivana R Member

Thank you! So 120 is approx 200 on the alphatrak but hypoglycemia is below 50?

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I changed the 911 on your post. We reserve 911 for a very serious medical emergencies. Running out of strips is not an emergency especially since you very effectively problem solved the situation and are planning on getting a human meter.

Also, please aware that we will be able to give you more assistance if you set up a spreadsheet so we can also see how your kitty is doing.

Ivana R and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  6. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Unfortunately there's no comparison between human and pet meters, but the lower the number the more similar they are and the higher they are the more far apart. A 400 on a human meter might be a 550 on the pet meter but a 60 may be roughly the same on either one.

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Just a word on "hypoglycemia"...

There is a difference between low numbers and hypoglycemia. Unless your cat is exhibiting symptoms of hypoglycemia (e.g., staggering, confusion, walking oddly, twitching, seizures, etc.), you're cat is in low numbers. A drop below 50 (on a human meter or 68 on a pet meter) is not hypoglycemia unless symptoms are present (i.e., a symptomatic hypoglycemic event). This drop in numbers represents low numbers. You don't want to leave your cat in low numbers because it can become hypoglycemia. This is why we refer to 50 or 68 depending on what kind of meter you're using as a "take action" number and why you reduce the dose.

8. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

For Ivana and anyone else. Human meters are generally free in Ontario, just don't say anything about a cat.
    It's not exactly what you want but it's handy to have a spare and you can always donate it later. AccuChek comes with batteries, a mini-meter, travel case and a good manual.

Sienne and Gabby (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.