Human meter

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JoannaDV1, Nov 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoannaDV1

JoannaDV1 Member

Looking to purchase a human meter- any suggestions? Currently using the AlphaTrax 2 and it is just too costly.

2. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

If you are in the US, the ReliOn prime from Walmart is very cheap and the strips are readily available. It does take a little bit of a larger sample size than the AlphaTrak (0.5uL), but not a whole lot more.

JoannaDV1 likes this.
  3. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I used an Accu-Chek because of the tiny sample needed, they're free in Canada but the strips can be expensive. The manual is easy to read, uses cheap batteries and the meter has lots of memory. A travel pouch and mini-meter came with mine.
    Any Canadians thinking about this have to tell a fib, don't mention anything about cats. :rolleyes:

JoannaDV1 likes this.
  4. Noah & me (GA)

This is how you get a free human meter in Canada.
    A vast wasteland of ice, moose and doughnuts where healthcare is "free" and it's okay not to be normal. I have $30,000 worth of platinum in the back of my head and I'm normal, or not. :oops: :rolleyes: o_O
    Go to the sight below, you may have to type the .ca in place of .com or whatever your domain is.
    Follow the links for free offer and answer appropriately so you don't look like an experienced diabetic. Print the form.
    Pick a large chain pharmacy not a mom & pop one. Try and look like a klutz, don't mention cats. "My doctor said at my current age, weight and diet I'm in danger of becoming diabetic. I cannot remember if she said type 1 or type 2." I've done this twice and have never been asked for ID or my health card. You'll have to buy strips as part of the deal and your cousin from Moosejaw has an unopened box of the pointy things. (Lancets! :confused:)
    Yes I suppose it's not completely right but the company makes their profits on the strips and not the meter. You did NOT hear this from me or FD**, capiche?
    https://www.accu-chek.ca/en/microsites/free-diabetes-meter
    0000beaver.jpg Behold the mighty beaver.

brewersdad likes this.
  5. Noah & me (GA)

6. brewersdad

brewersdad New Member

Hi thats neat small town ehh what a coincidence. Look i got to head off to bed, work early. I have a sick cat i am just on edge these past few days. I went to accuchek and got a form. I myself am prediabetic or right there i have a one touch verio meter. I have never blood tested my cat. He was diagnosed about 14 months ago [ ketoacidosis ] i am giving him insulin cannisilin. Anyways i may get the meter you speak of. This is my first post have been stalking this board though. Gotta run off to bed he was in rough shape last night pretty much lives in my bedroom. A little better today can you follow this post both Brewer and i need a little support. BTW my name is Joe thanks so much this is kind of tearing me apart.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  7. Noah & me (GA)

Consider it done. Noah was the cat, I'm Dickson.

8. brewersdad

brewersdad New Member

Hi Dickson, i feel so much better

9. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Waving from the Kawarthas,
    If you could start a new thread and tell us more about your cat - we can help you along this journey.

10. Noah & me (GA)

@brewersdad Hi Joe. You'll feel a whole lot better once you start testing before you shoot and it will be so much better for Brewer. You'll feel in control and Brewer will thank you for it. We'll see if we can get him out of the bedroom.
    I would skip the Welcome forum and go straight to Feline Health. Ask about meters, how is his ketoacidosis, get set up with a spreadsheet, ask about food etc. 14 months is a long time to go without testing first, was that your vet's idea?

Red & Rover (GA) likes this.
  11. Charlotte and Lucky’s mom

Charlotte and Lucky’s mom Well-Known Member

Hi Joanna! I’m from CT as well. Relion is easy to use. You don’t have to do any calibration to the meter when you open a new bottle of strips. The strips are cheap and both are from Walmart. I used the accu check initially bc my dad was a diabetic and passed but the strips are 100.00 for a bottle of 50. Relion strips are 20.00 for 100. Hope that helps!

12. Noah & me (GA)

Yikes! I never really looked at the price of my strips. AccuChek once had a recall of strips and buried it deep in their website, my pharmacy had no idea either. That was some pretty shabby PR. If I end up with another sugar cat I'll be switching meters.

13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

@Noah & me (GA)
    @brewersdad

Folks, can you be so kind as to not hijack Joanna's thread. You can always visit over on the Community board.

@JoannaDV1 - I used a Bayer Contour meter. I don't think that particular model is available any more. I've not researched glucometers recently but Consumer Reports or other places do review you may want to do a search.

I lied. I just looked up this review of glucometers.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.