Humilin N

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Hurleycat, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurleycat

Hurleycat New Member

Hurley cat was diagnosed 4 mos ago and has been on Humulin N. I read that Glargine has good results but I am scared to switch. We have to decide this weekend. Our Vet does not have any experience with glargine but is willing to let us try it. Although Hurley has greatly improved on the Humilin N, he is still ravenous. My concern is should we switch insulins? When I called Walmart they quoted me $222 for glargine. Yikes! I have a glucose monitor but not sure how accurate it is. Does anyone have any experience using/switching insulins?

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, I would switch. Humulin N is very difficult to regulate with as it usually takes the levels down rapidly after the shot and then they go back up, before a 12 hour cycles is nearly done. Lantus (what we call Glargine) is milder and longer lasting.

On the Lantus forum there are several stickies that will give you info on how to buy the insulin in the most inexpensive way, how to start with it, how to change doses, etc. All the starred topices below the gray line on this page should be helpful to you and your vet:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewforum.php?f=9

You might change your topic line to Humulin changing to Lantus. It will attract Lantus users to your post. There are very few people here who have used Humulin so most people may not be reading your post, thinking you need advice on Humulin.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Is that for the 10 ml vial or the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens?
    The pens are more expensive per ml but frequently you can use the whole pen before it goes bad but that is not usually the case for the vial.
    You stick the syringe in the end of the pen and draw the insulin out like yo do with a vial.
    I have switched and you just switch

4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

This article by DCIN talks about getting Lantus insulin at a lower cost.

Are you home testing your cat? To see what the BG (blood glucose) levels are?

Humulin is a short duration insulin, difficult to regulate cats on. Works great in dogs, but not in cats with their faster metabolisms.

Many of us here have used the Lantus insulin and can help to guide you and provide research material on how to use the Lantus.

5. Linda and Scooter & Jack

Linda and Scooter & Jack Well-Known Member

I am on my second day of switching and I already see a difference in Scooters energy.
    I bought mine at Walmart one pen for 87.00. I am also lucky to have found out today a friend of mine who is diabetic is willing to give scooter a couple pens as well.
    It is a bit nerve racking right now as the humilin is still coming out of his system but both Scooter and I do like only two shots a day.

I would say it is easier on Scooter and once regulated I am sure easier on me. Go ahead and switch as both of you will have better quality of life. dancing_cat

Linda

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

One reason he is not doing well is that N insulins typically last 6 to 8 hours in the cat.
    If you only give insulin every 12 hours, you may have 4 to 6 hours without insulin coverage.
    Some N users have found dividing the total daily dose in thirds and shooting every 8 hours gives better control with less extreme fluctuations when the insulin wears off.

If you home test the glucose, you can track how low the glucose is going and when it starts to wear off. This also keeps your cat safe from going too low or giving insulin when it would be unsafe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.