Humulin N/ Can someone look at this ss please

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jan and Hep and sara (GA), Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

jan and Hep and sara (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi,

I am helping out a friend with her cat that was DX with diabetes. His name is Hep. The vet started Hep out on 1U for a few weeks, than went up a unit a week. He was on 6U. I came here to ask advice and we did a rebound check. Cut it down to 3U, which he is currently on. His #'s are still high, although there have been some lower #'s. But he seems all over the board.

I don't have the #'s when he was started on 1U. There were'nt many #'s taken than, she was just learning hometesting and I don't have that data. From what I remember they were mid to higher 200's. He had a curve done at the vets and it was 250-300 throughout the day. I think that was on 1U.

It seems to me that he has gone up ever since the vet went up to 2U. IMO I think he should start over at 1.5U. But I would like more experienced eyes to have a look also. She is testing for keytones also. He has been negative. I told her that was very important.

Heps's ss is attached to my signature.

Thanks for any advice in advance. Sorry I don't have more data.

jan and sara

2. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Yes, those numbers do seem to be all over the place! It does look like 3u is still too much - but I am not seeing a characteristic drop with a nadir anywhere around +4 confused_cat Humulin N is a difficult insulin to regulate on regardless. Is there any way they can switch over to Lantus/Levemir/ProZinc? They would have a better chance of a more gentle curve and longer duration if they switch.

3. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

Kelly,

I would have to talk to her about that. This cat was on a steriod not long before it was dx. My cat is on lantus and doing great, but I know its not as forgivng and it takes dedication. I'm not familar with the others.

Thanks Kelly for your input.

jan and sara

4. dodgingwrenches

dodgingwrenches Member

My vet started me on Novolin N, which I understand to be pretty much the same thing, about four weeks ago. Numbers went nowhere but up. Switched to Lantus this week thanks to a member on here, and already have some nicer numbers (albeit still high) so as others here, I'd suggest trying Lantus. You can see my spreadsheet for more info :)

5. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

Hmm ... what was the cat on the steroids for, is she still on the steroids, and has the condition cleared up? 'Cause if it was a steroid-induced diabetic (or a steroid-and-condition-induced diabetic), then you'd want to reduce the dose as the condition cleared up and also as the steroids were reduced. My inclination would be to reduce the dose and see where that takes you.

6. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

No he's not on steroids anymore. I got the feeling it was not long before I started talking with her about Hep being DX that he had been on steriods. That was back in March.

Thats what I was inclined to do also, drop the dose and see where it brings us.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.