Humulin N verses Novulin N

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Sarah/Nancy, Feb 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah/Nancy

Sarah/Nancy Member

My vet put my cat on Humulin N really exprensive with prescription but was told by a pharmasist at Walmart that Novulin is the same without prescription and alot cheaper. Is it really the same it only cost $24.00 Help

2. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Humulin N and Novalin N is the same insulin but different manufacturers. Walmart has a contract with Novalin to allow them to sell it cheaper. 2 years ago, the contract was with the Humulin maker - their $24 insulin was Humulin N.

HUGS!!!

3. Sarah/Nancy

Sarah/Nancy Member

Can i ask why you changed from Humulin to what you are using now.

4. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I just saw this post this morning. We changed from Humulin N to Lantus due to the difference in how it works for cats. The 'N' insulins work fast, cause large drops quickly then is gone usually by 8-10 hours. We chose Lantus because if it's gentler curve and depot approach.

5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Plus, Lantus, levimir and Prozinc all have higher rates of remission for cats than the NPH insulins like Humulin or Novolin have. Since the best chance of remission is in the first 6 months after diagnosis, it's good to get our kitties on a better insulin to give them that chance.

Wink was switched after 3 weeks on Humulin N to Lantus, and did much better.

6. IloveLarry

IloveLarry Well-Known Member

curious do any of u know the difference in novolog and novolin n/humulin n?
    and hello to another humulin n user :)
    larry is still on it. fingers crossed we get to switch to lantus.

7. Deb & Wink

Nope, no idea what the differences are.

Novolog is another quick acting, short duration insulin. Still not of much use for our cats with their rapid metabolisms.

8. Sarah/Nancy

Sarah/Nancy Member

Thanks for the info is it hard to go from on insulin to the other. My vet says they carry the vetsulin is that another fast acting insulin

9. Deb & Wink

Vetsulin is also called Caninsulin. (canine =dog) It's what is know as a lente or medium acting insulin.

It is a combination of two different insulins, one is fast acting, the other takes a little bit more time to start working. The idea is that it will bring the numbers down fast and keep them down. Unfortunately, most cats do not get a long enough duration on the Vetsulin and it only lasts somewhere around 8-10 hours. That leaves your cat without insulin for 2-4 hours each cycle. Your cat may be an exception and get long enough duration from the Vetsulin. The Merck veterinary manual says that Glargine (aka Lantus) is the first choice for cats.
    The best insulins for cats are Lantus, Levimir and Prozinc/PZI. They have a long duration in most cats, lasting 12 hours and sometimes more.

When you switch from one insulin to another one, it depends on what you are switching from and switching to.

Lantus (glargine) and Levimir (detimir) are both depot type insulins. It's very easy to switch from one of the short acting insulins, like Novolin/Humulin N or Vetsulin to either of the L type insulins. You simply start your dose with the next shot.

It's a little trickier when switching from the depot insulins, Lantus or Levimir, to a shorter acting insulin. You would usually start with a slightly lower dose, as the insulin depot needs time to drain. Sometimes, you even skip a cycle or 2 when you are switching.

The first 6 months of treatment is the best window for remission. So if at all possible, you should get the best insulin you can to help your cat get to remission. Not all cats can achieve remission. But it's certainly worth a try, IMHO.

10. Sarah/Nancy

Sarah/Nancy Member

I have been reading that sometimes Walmart will let you get just on cartridge instead of the 5 pack. so the cost is not so high does anyone know if this is true

11. Deb & Wink

You need to contact the pharmacies around where you live, to see what they are willing to do. It seems to be up to the individual pharmacy.

This link, from the DCIN website, has some information about getting Lantus less expensively.

Please note, Sanofi, the makers of Lantus, have changed their savings plan program so only the first 3 prescriptions are lower cost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.