Hyper-T question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sanrun, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sanrun

sanrun Member

Dottie was DX with Hyper-T back in the summer of 2008, we started her on the transdermal tapazole in January of 2009. She should have been on it sooner, but my old vet didn't think she was Hyper-T :? . She is over weight and I guess didn't fit the profile, I didn't know this until I requested her bloodwork to take to my new vet, her T-4 was 8! Gees! The new vet retested her and she was 8 again. Anyway, she is down to 3 now on a BID dose 5mg AM and 2.5 PM. She was SID but her she went out of range in May.

Ok...Here's my question. Do your Hyper-T kitties have puke days? Seems like Dottie pukes up food about once a week, she is usually fine after about 6 hours or less. Sometimes, she pukes and goes back to eat shortly after. I used to think all the puke piles were from Cecil before we lost him, he was a pukey boy! He recovered quickly, but it made giving his shots tricky sometimes. I'm wondering if it's the Hyper-T or the medication that causes the upset stomach.

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

my late hyper-T gal was a puker up until her diagnosis and subsequent treatment. within no time at all after going on the tapazole, she gave up vomiting. whether it was the medication itself that helped or the fact that she also stopped gulping down her food after starting treatment i don't know.

when was the last time her thyroid was checked? maybe it's a bit out of wack again?

3. sanrun

sanrun Member

Just had her checked in the end of May. Maybe, it something with Fancy Feast. She eats the non-fish grilled ones, plus the Meldy chicken and turkey. I should try to get her to eat the ground ones again, she wasn't thrilled with when I was using them for Cecil. She likes the gravy :roll: ! She licks the gravy off and then eats about half chunks, the rest go in the garbage. Cecil would eat them if he was still around! I miss my pukey boy, he was such a sweet kitty. Never fussed about anything, best cat to treat FD. :cry:

4. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

There are "supposed" to be fewer gastric side effects with transdermal.

5. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

I have a hyperT kitty on methimazole liquid 5/mg/day, and she does not puke at all - except those hairballs...

6. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

yes, munchie is on 1.5 pills of generic tapazole (methimazole) a day but she's still a major puker, much to my dismay. not large pukes but all over the hardest to clean places (of course). but her test was tremendously high even tho it's halved now after a few months on methimazole.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.