Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

Alex went from 4.2 to 7.4. He was on 5 mg of Tapezole a day and my vet just raised him to 7.5 mg a day. 1 pill in the AM and 1/2 at night. Does that sound like a normal dose for this range? The hyper-t and diabetes have really been screwing around with each other and Alex is not a good candidate for surgery or radiation.

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

ECID is the same with HyperT kitties.

I had one that took 5MG in the morning and then 2.5MG at night. I look back now and think I would have preferred to split the dose half and half and give the same amount morning and night. But that was a long time ago and I don't have a good reason why I'd prefer that, just a weird feeling I guess.

My last two seniors with HyperT, a mom and her daughter, one cat took 2.5MG BID and the other 10MG BID. Really a full 10MG tablet twice a day and they were the same size kitties.

Why is Alex not a good candidate for Radiation? Does the FD preclude him? I've never had a hypert that was FD, so I'm simply curious. Only 1 of my cats was ever allowed the radiation. I did have the surgery done on another but the hypert came back.

3. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Alex must be way lower, right? Do you remember their thyroid levels?
    Alex has other stuff going on besides the hyper-t and Fd. He also has a heart murmur AND he's a very bad patient. after 1 day in the hospital for DKA i was asked to come get him to continue treatment at home because it was clear that he would get too stressed out being there and would do better at home(he was already on the mend)
    If he had to be in isolation for 10 days it would be too stressful for him. :cry:

4. tuckers mom

Keesha at one point was a 32 on her T4, Spunky was a 10.8, Gett was a 4.4 and I can't remember what Friendly's numbers were, she was hypert for over 6 years before passing at 18 yrs young. She was also a feral so getting her in for blood work was really hard.

5. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Sorry Jennifer I just ran out and came back :)
    32?????
    She was the one who was on he real high dose no doubt???

I know that 10.8 isn't THAT high..what dose was he/she on?
    Now 4.4 is high normal. I know this because Alex was 4.2 recently and that's when he was on 5 mgs but apparently it didn't stay good because he's back up to 7.4 or 7.6
    Gett was on which dose?

I'm sorry to ask but I'm doing so because I'm just wondering if my vet is being conservative because of the diabetes. I know he's worried about Alex's kidneys....

Thank you :)

ETA: actually the dosing looks very similar to what he's having me do. how could you have split it equally in half(the 7.5 doser) and why did u feel that way)?

Caryl

6. tuckers mom

Spunky was the 10.8 at last check, she passed away, actually she and Keesha both passed within weeks of each other a few months ago. I adopted Spunky in '95, she was pregnant, I kept everyone, Keesha and Gett are her kittens.

Keesha and Spunky both had bad kidneys and were refused the I131 treatment. Spunky had the thyroidectomy and her hypert came back. Keesha did not have the surgery so that could be why her numbers were always so out of control even on the 10MG I could not get her numbers down and she continued to lose weight.

Gett used to get the powder that was left on the back of the spoon when I crushed everyone else's tap, but after his last test showed his value going up and his kidneys still perfect, Gett had the I131 treatment back in January. Gett was 3.8 when dx, being senior, he started the small dose of tap. Gett is also a kitten to Spunky, his dose was so small because he showed no signs of hypert, in fact before he went to I131, he actually stopped eating. He never drank water or peed too much, he lost weight in December from not eating, that was the only time he ever lost weight.

Since his treatment he's gained back all his weight and is now at a healthy 10 pounds.

7. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

wow you've had a lot of hyper-t kitties. I'm sorry about your recent loss :(

You consider 5 mg to be a small dose? Fortunately, I guess... Alex has maintained his weight since the initial weight he lost from the combo of diabetes and hyper-t. He has a huge appetite from the hyper-t and will eat whatever he can get. The kidney thing scares me and fortunately i guess..it worries my vet too..he doesn't want to go overboard with the tap so I guess this is a good thing. Hopefully this little boost will do it but I guess I'll have to wait and see because I have the diabetes mix. Sheesh it's so confusing :roll:

Thanks for responding and giving me all of this info :razz:

8. tuckers mom

I don't think 5MG is a small dose, most cats start on 2.5 MG. I simply had a cat that required a large dose, I don't know of any other 10MG BID kitties.

My vet felt that keeping the thyroid a little high for the kidney cats was a good thing. She felt that it kept the kidneys flushed. Not sure if I agree or disagree because my kidney cats didn't last as long as my hypert who didn't have kidney disease.

I think your vet is doing the right thing for your kitty and like you've been doing, just check those T4 values and keep an eye on the bloodwork. Your kitty is in very good hands.

9. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

awww thanks so much for saying that Jennifer..I appreciate that :YMHUG:
    hugs~
    Caryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.