Hyperthyroidism

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lisa dvm, Oct 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Would this diet be useful during I-131 treatment, to optimize the I-131getting to the thyroid?

3. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

No, I can't see any reason to do that.

4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Dr Lisa,

Here in the UK the radioactive iodine treatment isn't readily available everywhere. What would you recommend for 'plan B'... The choices look pretty grim.... :sad:

5. nwnews

nwnews Member

My cat had I131 treatment when she was 14 - she is 19 now and its the best money I've ever spent. If you are in the pacific northwest Dr Wackerbarth and staff at the Feline Thyroid Clinic (Seattle & Tacoma) is wonderful!!

6. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for the cost of the I131 treatment?

Carl

7. Lori and Atticus

Lori and Atticus Member

We did the I131 treatment last year and it cost us 1250.00 after taxes and any other extras in AZ. It was the best money ever spent! Medicine didn't work for my cat. I131 was our only choice and I'm so glad we did it!

8. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

2008 SF Bay Area=1300 for the actual I-131.. can depend on how many days they need to stay which varies state to state depending on regs. Where I went they did the Technetium scan the same day Conor arrived before the I-131 (included) but they need..uh I think it was a blood panel and Chest xrays from your vet within 10 days prior to the "consultation" at the I-131 facility a week prior (150.00 I think) There was timing issue..

Oh its probably more now because that specialty hospital is owned by VCA. It wasnt when conor went there.

9. nwnews

nwnews Member

HI Carl, as Lisa said it really depends on your state (and their requirements) as well as the clinic. You need to call around asking specific questions about treatments. Case in point: I live in Portland, Oregon - the state requires animals who have I131 to be quarantined for 4 days. I called two places here who did I131 and found that they dosed two ways - 4 millicuries for a cat showing mild/moderate hypert or 11 millicuries for severe symptoms. Cost - $985-1100 - they had both been doing I131 for 3 years. I found that Washington state only requires animal to be quarantined until they went below certain geiger reading. I also found a vet who had specialized in I131 over 15 years and doses by clinical symptoms and exam (drawback - 2 1/2 hour drive for me). He only charged $825.00 and most cats only stayed a day or two. So since I wanted Sitka to have the best I drove her to Tacoma and had her treated there - she only got 2 millicuries, came home the next day, and was cured. So the main questions are: how do they dose the I131, cost, and quarantine time. Also if your cat has medication needs you need to check - some clinics will give meds during I131 and some won't. Jan

10. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

As usual, Dr. Lisa is full of wonderful and useful information. I had the I-131 done 3 years ago in the Atlanta area and it was $1200 if I remember correctly.
    I do want to add that I didn't see anything about the possibility of the cat going hypOt after this treatment.I am not sure what the percentage is but it is possible, as it happened to my civvie. So she has to have a thyroid supplement everyday anyway. Just something to consider.

11. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Hi Jill,

The chance of hypo is covered on my webpage. It has been quoted to me by two of the leading experts in this field as being <5%. My Andy ended up in that <5% and is taking soloxine. The hypo state is often temporary as the inhibited normal thyroid tissue starts to 'wake up'. That is why it is important to keep monitoring these patients. That said, if Andy needs soloxine for life, that sure beats the alternatives to I-131 and I would still not choose any other treatment over I-131 if it was available.

Next, I want to stress that if given the choice of a facility that can perfom a technesium scan to go that route.

With regard to Plan B - I strongly dislike both options but would probably give the nod to canned y/d over tapazole for MILD HT cases. For severe cases, I would try canned y/d but with the understanding that I would probably have to go with tapazole even though I really dislike that treatment.

Actually, what I would do is to *attempt* to formulate a low iodine homemade diet since I would probably need a gun held to my head before feeding any commercial "therapeutic/prescription" diet. I say "attempt" because the iodine level in foods is very variable so one never really knows what is in any given ingredient/meat source.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.