Hypo and DKA Recovery

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sjfound, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sjfound

sjfound New Member

Hi,

I have a long thread here from when my cat was DKA and first diagnosed with diabetes, Emma. Emma is still home, but things are moving slowly. She barely eats on her own at all. We are totally syringe feeding her but she takes it no problem. She does drink and pee on her own. They haven't done blood tests in a week, but at that time she was severely anemic. Knowing that she almost died from DKA, had turned yellow and all her blood work was out of sorts and then she got to a point she could come home, what is the recovery time from DKA? She is so lethargic all the time (only been 9 days since we almost lost her). She had a hypo condition last night. Had to call the vet at midnight. She was breathing heavy, lethargic and staggering. Her glucose was down to 2. We are upping her food intake and the vet decided today to decrease her insulin and dilute it. She only gets 0.5 units 2X per day. Now she is getting 0.25 units 2X per day with 0.75 units sterile water added by them.

I know that getting this all figured out is going to take a while. She is getting glucose levels tested Thursday. Her veins are really bad from testing so much over the last 9 days that they are trying to reduce it a bit and don't want me doing it at home yet.

But my question is how long does it take for you to start to see some real recovery coming through. She is soooo tiny as well since the DKA and complete dehydration.

Thanks
    Sarah

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

It's one of those Every Cat is Different things. But the best thing you can do to protect her is to hometest. You have to know what her levels are before you shoot. Lowering the insulin is good, but what if she is regulated and no longer needs it? Giving her even a small amount can risk another hypo. Giving insulin without a test first is shooting blind - sometime a human diabetic would never do.

Getting her levels tested at the vet is likely to be inaccurate. She has been in the hospital and feels awful. So the ride to the vet, the smell of the vet, the noises - all that is likely to cause stress and raise her bg levels. If the vet bases her treatment on those levels, you are courting disaster.

BTW, the vet doesn't have to test her levels using her veins. We don't. We poke their ears. It isn't painful; it's easy and is accurate. At least the vet should be doing the ear testing.

Please try hometesting. Here is a site with good info: http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/harry/bgtest.ht and a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zE12-4fVn8 You can buy a meter tonight and literally, save her life.

3. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Sarah, do you have a meter at home? If not, please.....please.......buy one. Also, have you tested her urine for ketones with KetoDiastix? What insulin does the vet have her on? Her electrolytes and blood values should all be checked again. Is there another vet you can go to? Once they are over their battle with DKA they should start perking up and wanting to eat.

4. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Sarah))))))))))))))))))))))) Sending lots of cyber hugs.

I dont have much experience with the things your baby is going thru but one thing that jumped out at me is that there are no diluents for the insulins out there now. If you can let us know what insulin they are diluting it will help. Many insulins will be damaged from diluting the way you describe.

I really hope she can pull thru.

5. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Sarah, re-reading your post this jumped out at me.........Her veins are really bad from testing so much over the last 9 days that they are trying to reduce it a bit and don't want me doing it at home yet. .........you use an ear to get a tiny drop of blood and a meter. There is no need to go at her veins for doing a bg test and please don't let them start cutting her claws to the quick to get blood. Sounds awful, it is awful, but there are vets out there that still do it. Walmart's Reli-On meter is cheap, good meter, as well as the test strips for it are cheap. Please, start hometesting her. Also, need to know what insulin they are using because none of them can be diluted. Lilly used to make and sell a diluent for N, L and U....humulins....but they stopped making it. N is the only insulin you may be able to dilute and if she is on N it is not a good insulin for majority of cats.

6. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

I also would suggest getting a glucometer. It has helped me tremendously when our Blackie hypo-ed yesterday. Had I not had that meter, I'm sure that Blackie wouldn't be here today.

Also, I test her using the ears, too. Very easy to do and it's quick. The ears toughen up quickly, too.

7. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

I also want to say I hope that she recovers quickly. I've got my fingers crossed and will be sending tons of prayers for you both.

8. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

1. as mentioned, there are no diluents, so they must be using sterile saline? Problem is, saline should only be used as a diluent at shot time, not ahead of time, and I'm not certain if it can be used with all insulins

2. her anemia will make her weak. If it isn't treated she can die, so I'm not certain what the vet is planning on doing about it?

Jen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.