Hypo at +3 - Help!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sara and Mr. Kitty, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara and Mr. Kitty

Sara and Mr. Kitty Member

Mr. Kitty has been doing well considering we were on holiday and had to leave him with a pet sitter (who luckily is experienced with feline diabetes). His numbers were high while we were gone and have settled back to somewhat normal (little lower than were use to) since we’ve been home so we decided to lower him to .75U the past few days. Today he tested @54 +3 and that’s the lowest he’s ever tested! I immediately freaked out, gave him gravy and retested after 15 minutes he was @ 70 and after 35 minutes @83.

What should I do? Should I continue to test him every hour now? I feel so lost. I’m on the search for another vet who will talk to me about switching to more stable insulin.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

That was too low for an AT meter. At next dose, reduce to 0.25 u. :)

3. Sara and Mr. Kitty

Thank you for responding - we will definitely lower his dose to .25U tonight.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

What did you do when kitty was at 70 and 80? Did you just give the gravy once or each time you tested?
    I went through this the other night and we just took it one test at a time. We tested every 15 while he was hypo, every 30 when he was just a little above, and every hour once he had come up some. Then when we were past peak point, I stopped.

5. Sara and Mr. Kitty

i gave him a hefty tablespoon of the gravy food and about 10 kibbles and continued to test every 15 minutes until he reached close to 90, which took about 30 minutes. I tested him 30 minutes later and he was 117 then tested him 2 hours after and he is at 159 (this is normally his peak time so I felt ok to stop testing until his PMPS.

6. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Looks like you did this well! NICE!! Try to use simple sugars like Karo or gravy rather than kibble. The kibble must begin digesting before any of those carbs begin to release plus they can last for many hours past where you want them to be.

Gosh he responds fast! KT (GA), our first diabetic, responded fast too. Dakota (current sugarboy) and I are dancing (39) right now too but it takes almost 35 minutes for karo to even show with him, food 45 minutes. His motility is very old and slow but we've been dancing together for many years.

Good job! Good luck at .25u! You are skipping over the .5u dose by going to .25u. If he doesn't hold the reduction, I'd raise him back up to the skipped dose.

HUGS!!

7. Sara and Mr. Kitty

Thank you! This sugar dance is the pits as it makes me so crazy - I do have Karo but forgot to use it as I was to busy freaking out like a maniac :nailbiting:

8. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

I did my share of freaking out!! The absolute biggest thing I learned years ago was that freaking out did no good - Sienne (Gabby GA) almost had to beat me with a stick to get it thru to my hard head. You caught it, nothing bad was happening (symptomatic) so just 'do'. I will admit every once in a while I do have a bit of a fast heartbeat tho' even after all these years. :)

Sara and Mr. Kitty likes this.
  9. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Also, do not be surprised if the PM reading is much higher than normal. The extra carbs may cause a spike in the BG levels. Even with the higher numbers, you should reduce the dose. The BG levels will even out within a few readings.

10. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

Hah. Sorry. I wasn't being lazy. I typed up a response and apparently didn't hit post. :/

11. Sara and Mr. Kitty

I’m so overwhelmed but know it’ll get easier - at least I’m hopeful!

12. Sara and Mr. Kitty

Hello! Yes, his evening numbers are back in the pink now :(I guess that’s what makes me so sad is that we do so good and then BOOM I don’t know what just happened and we’re back to square one. We reduced the dose to .25 and will continue to test. Poor guy is giving me the side eye every time I test him.

13. Sara and Mr. Kitty

No worries! I’m still trying to figure out how to post here - thanks for your response :)

14. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Just give him some extra low carb treats and he will forgive you. :cat:

15. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You're doing great! Look at his progress since diagnosis - from 3 u down to 0.25 u. :woot:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.