? Hypo levels with no insulin?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Vidya & Boo, Dec 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidya & Boo

Vidya & Boo Member

Hi, I was an active member here years ago, when my late cat (Boo) had diabetes. But I now have a question about another diabetic cat, belonging to my sister.

He was diagnosed a couple months ago, with very high BG, and had uneven responses to Lantus. Then, about 10 days ago, she gave him his shot without first testing, and his level began dropping into the low 3s within an hour or so of the shot, necessitating an emergency vet visit and glucose drip.

Here’s where it gets weird — since the hypo, he’s needed no insulin. With no further injections and non-ideal dietary management, his levels went down into the 7s, and then, a few days later, into the high 4s to low 3s, where they’ve remained. He’s showing no hypo symptoms, has great energy, remains pleasantly plump, sleeps soundly, and is eating well, but not excessively (which he did during the insulin-induced hypo). She’s giving him high-carb food at the moment.

My sister's vet is closed for a couple more days, so we’re just looking for anyone else’s experiences in the meanwhile. The only thing Google has turned up is the possibility of an insulinoma tumour, which appear to be extremely rare.

Any thoughts? He’s still in fine form, seemingly in the best health of his life, even with a reading of 3.3 an hour ago!

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

We don't know why, but for some reason, when a cat has a severe hypo, it seems to kick start the pancreas.

It doesn't happen all the time, but I've heard of it happening several times both here and in the FD Facebook groups.

As long as he's not on insulin, there's no need to worry. I have a civvie that routinely tests around 2.0

Vidya & Boo likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

As Chris said, he’s fine and perfectly safe at those levels without insulin. Hopefully he’s going into remission.

Vidya & Boo likes this.
  4. Vidya & Boo

Vidya & Boo Member

Thank you!! That’s very helpful to know!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.