Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Troye and Krissy

Troye and Krissy New Member

1. Help! Krissy is 10 yrs old, on Vetsulin since August. Weaned off dry food to FF past couple of weeks. Random checks 150-250 and doing great until yesterday when she bottomed out at 37! This was 4 hours after her shot (4u) I know that the alpha trak reads lower than her serum check but she was in trouble. She ate dry food (1/4 cup) and perked back up. Repeat check was 73 2 hours later so I fed her another 1/4 dry food. By dinner time she was 235 and I gave 1/2 dose of insulin. This morning her AMPS was 335. I gave 3u instead of 4 and plan to check every 3 hours. I'm scared to go to work tomorrow. So thankful the hypo episode happened on the weekend. Will see the vet this week but not sure why she had such a sudden change. Suggestions?

44 minutes agoEditReport
      #1Reply

2. [​IMG]
      Andy & Pimp
      Good morning! We're still pretty new at this too so I don't give dosing advice. But I have some questions/comments that may help others help you...

Weaned off dry food to FF past couple of weeks.
      When did you completly stop the dry food? It does take some time for it to clear their system.

37 is pretty low on alphatrak. You said she perked back up after eating...was she actually showing hypo symptoms?

What kind of dry food did you feed her?

It would be a good idea for you to prepare a hypo kit with medium and high carb wet foods, and karo syrup. These tools will allow you to bring her numbers up much faster than dry food will. It also takes a lot longer for the effects of dry food to clear the system.

Please cross-post this in the Vetsulin forum for more educated eyes to see. Sorry I'm not more help but you are in good hands here :bighug:

Pimp's Spreadsheet
      22 minutes agoReport
      #2LikeReply

3. [​IMG]
      Troye and Krissy
      We stopped Hill's dry M/D two and a half weeks ago. At my very supportive vet's suggestion (new vet), planning to wait 2 weeks and do a curve. With the holiday and so much activity at home, I was planning a full curve today. She had been on 5 units twice a day, now 4. She was moving sluggishly and looked a little foggy. It took me a few minutes to realize this was hypoglycemia and check her sugar. Our first experience with it. Since she would eat, I gave her the food(Hill's M/D) instead of the Karo. That was probably a mistake, but she acted much better almost immediately after eating.

Thanks for your help. I'll get the high carb canned food for sure.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Almost no one posts in the Vetsulin forum; posting in Health is likely to get a response.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.