Hypoallergenic and pancreatitis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Max99, Nov 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Max99

Max99 Member

Hi all,

My cat was diagnosed with pancreatitis a few weeks or so ago. She was put on a different food but as she has food and skin allergies (she stratches her ears and they bleed) the food isn't suitable for her. I phoned the vet on Tuesday and she said to put her back on her RC hypoallergenic food as well as give her the new food (RC gastrointestinal moderate calorie), so give her half the RDA of her hypo and half of the GI food. The vet was going to look for a moderate calorie hypoallergenic food for us. Her ears are much better when she only eats the hypo food but I'm worried about her pancreatitis! The vet was going to phone me again yesterday. I did phone and the receptionist said she'll get back to me as soon as she can but I'm guessing the vet had a really busy day as I didn't get a call back.

I don't know what food is best for her. We've also only got a couple of sachets of her new food left... I don't want to buy more in case we do swap to a new food plus it's causing her allergies anyway. We've got plenty of hypo food. She does tuck into that more than the GI stuff at the moment. I don't want her pancreatitis to get worse because we might be feeding her the wrong food! I know it's important that she eats something esp. due to her having diabetes so I am glad she's tucking into something. Does anyone know about the best foods for cats with allergies, diabetes and pancreatitis?!

Thanks.

2. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

That sounds like quite a package of issues. There have been multiple discussions on this forum about "prescription food", and there is nothing prescription in it.

For our cats, they all get Fancy Feast Classic. Nothing spicy, just standard cat food with low calories. Leo has small cell lymphoma. So one of his meds is prednisolone. That also helps with other intestinal issues.

3. Lillie

Lillie Member

You might want to look into a limited ingredient single protein food if he has food allergies. My cat who has IBD also has food allergies and has done much better on a limited ingredient single protein duck canned food. They are making a lot of these now that are not prescription.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'd say fine a novel protein... duck, rabbit, ect. that is low carb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.