hypoglycemia in an 18.5yr diabetic

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sharon and Taz, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharon and Taz

Sharon and Taz New Member

Code:

Hi! My 18.5 yr old diabetic(for 9yrs) had his very first hypoglycemic episode today. He had several vomitting episodes which led up to the blood sugar of 24. He has never been that low and was hiding, licking his lips and not eating all day. When I checked him at 2pm and found the low sugar, I gave him 2cc of Karo which only brought it up to 57. He doesnt want to eat at all..none of his favorites. I am worried about lipidosis and have given him several syringes of water and wet food. His last sugar was 127. I am wondering how often to check him and what to do about the anorexia. I want him comfortable if this is it... Help!!!

2. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

I'm too much of a newbie to be huge help...but let me go post on another board and see if i can't get the attention of some of the experts.

Do you have or can you get baby food? Have you tried slightly warming the foods you have? Do you have High Carb foods with gravy to feed?
    ESPECIALLY gravy??

Let me see if i cn stir up some better help for you.

BRB..

3. Sharon and Taz

Thank you! This forum is awesome! Its been a while since I used it but I have always found it helpful. I do not have baby food on hand. Give me some examples of high carb foods for cats. I do have dry but I would have to force it as he wont touch it.

4. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Sharon, how long ago was your shot? And how long after the shot was the 24? What insulin are you using and what dose?

5. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

It sounds like his BG level is ok for now. Are you still checking? If it's still going up (or staying same, not going down) stop giving the sugar/karo/syrup or anything. You'll need other people's advice as to whether you need a dose reduction or anything like that. When's kitty's next shot? Please don't shoot until you get more people's input here!

As for the not eating, syringing the wet food is good. Usually when they go low, they get extra hungry. Has he been sick lately? Or do you think he's coming down with a URI? You want to get at least something in his tummy every day.. if it lasts more than a day, I'd get him to the vet to see why he's not eating all of a sudden.

6. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome
    How many hours after the shot was he 24 and how many hours after the shot is it now. We are from all different time zones here.

7. bettyandhank

NO NOT DRY. Canned. Canned Fancy Feast grilled flavors in gravy. Start with teaspoons of the gravy first for most impact.
    i'm just re-reading your post. He is at 127? How long ago was that?

It sounds like he may not be in dnager BG-wise then. But you do need to get him to eat. If you add some drops of water to his favortie canned food, and microwave it for only 3-4 seconds and stir it up it will bring the smell out.
    You could also sprinkle some tuna juice on it to entice. Do not feed the dry.

How often are you re-testing? let me send this and see if anyone else has replied. I posted on Lantus so hopefully someone will be along soon.
    Have you phoned the emergency vet ...they may be able to offer advice about the feeding.

I need to clarify, if the counts are over 100- do not feed HIGH CARB foods. But he does need to eat. Low carb canned.

8. bettyandhank

Ok,...I see some of them made it over. You are in very good hands now. Let them advise you..they will be able to help.

I will be checking.

betty

9. bettyandhank

Sharon-

Can you clarify the time of your tests today and the results.

the tyoe insulin and dose?

When was the last shot?

You mentioned a BG of 127- what time was that? How long ago?

How does he seem right now, can you update please?

10. bettyandhank

Sharron..you had several people here for you including one of the dosing experts who has now lgone. We weren't sure what happened to you. Can you please update and I'll see if i can get her back. You need to standby though... they will be very quick to the draw and if you can reply right back I think you will be better helped.

I'll go let them know you came back. BRB

don't go away>>>>>>>

11. Sharon and Taz

Hi! His injection was at 0630 this am/2.5u PZI which is his usual dose. He didnt eat much and vomitted what little he ate. The 24 BS was at 2pm. He has been picking at his food ie. eats a few bites then comes back later for a few more for several months but his last random BS's ran 140-247. Havent changed his dose in a year. Bottle is good still. I have @once a month given him a .9normal saline sq bolus as he has acid reflux that at times makes him sick. He has been on Pepcid 2.5mg M-W-F for 3 weeks which seems to help. He did get bolused 3 times over the weekend for vomitting...didnt check his sugar at that time. His sugar went up to 57 at 2:30, then down to 49 at 4:30pm at which time I gave him more Karo. His last sugar was 127 at 7pm. I am on EST and it is now 1155pm Sharon

12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

How much food is your cat eating in a day?

If your cat's food intake has dropped off and the vomiting is persisting, I'd encourage you to get your cat to the vet. Persistent vomiting is not a good thing and it's clearly playing havoc with BG. It's also possible that this is pancreatitis. If your cat can't keep food down, I don't think just feeding Karo is a good overall solution since it is relatively fast acting. It's fine for the short term but this is now going on several hours. You might want to consider a trip to the ER.

13. Sharon and Taz

I havent given him any more Karo since 4:30pm I am giving him wet food with water by syringe. I will call my vet in the am. I spoke to him already today so he knows some of what went on. Pancreatitis doesnt usually subside on its own and he is no longer vomitting. He is just not feeling well. How long does it take for them to feel better after a really low episode? e has never been that low...

14. bettyandhank

Sharon-

I left for awhile. They posted on other board thinking you were gone. Not sure who is still on as I was away from computer a few minutes. I posted you were on again. Hang tight if you will

15. bettyandhank

What kind of canned food do you have? Did you try any of the earlier suggestions? warming it, adding tuna juice. If you do, will he eat a little.

perhaps if you spoon or hand feed him?

16. bettyandhank

The ER vet wherever you are will likely talk to you over the phone tonight. You may only get a tech, but they can be very helpful and perhaps pass information through the vet to you. May give you some essential advice to get you through the immediate time until you would see your regular vet. OR may determine you shouldn't wait until tomorrow.
    The more specifics you can share the better. It's possible he needs to be on IV fluids, unless you feel you have gotten enough down him. Again, I think you may get some guidance and peace of mind calling the ER tonight. It may be there are certain things they would have you do right now.

Also, may be a good idea to get another BG test since it has been several hours. You want to be clear on what's going on with him so you can make the best decisions.

17. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

hi sharon.
    you had quite an evening.
    I hope you get your kitty into the vets in the am.

an important note for you :
    it is not safe to use your email addy as your user name.
    can you change it for your own safety?
    most of us sign up using our first name and our cats name or some other combo of the names.
    thanks -- just looking out for you !

ps. and once a crisis is past -- please remove the 911 from your header. thanks.

again. hope your kitty is ok and things go well at the vets.

18. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Just wondering why you keep saying no dry. In this case dry would be fine since the cat's BG is out of the danger zone now. Dry food seems to take longer to take effect but Sharon has already given Kero which is good. In a hypo case the best is to use a simple sugar to get the BG up then a longer lasting food such as high-carb wet or dry. If the cat goes too high that OK.

19. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

To all who posted:

A blood glucose level of 24 is reason to get the cat to the vet or emergency room sooner rather than later, as in FAST!! Especially with the vomiting and the age of the cat.

NOT ALL HYPOS CAN BE TREATED AT HOME.

I am very concerned that we will let a cat die pretty soon by giving home treatment advice in a life threatening emergency. We need vets and should not hesitate to send people to them.

20. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

I agree the cat probably should have seen a vet. But if you reread the original post, the BG was 124 by the time she posted. A later post said she had talked to her vet.

21. leestuart

leestuart New Member

Try putting parmasean cheese or the japanese bonita flakes on his wet food. That may help to stimulate his appetite... Good luck & if I think of anything else I will post ASAP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.