I am dumb - I stuck myself :(

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by migoto and mom, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. migoto and mom

migoto and mom Member

Arrrrgh. This is only my second day giving injections and already I goofed up bigtime. :(

I got Migoto's syringe all ready for her dose tonight, but she wiggled a little when I stuck her, and the needle got my finger. I don't think any insulin came out. I reoriented it and gave her the shot but right afterwards I thought OMG I PROBABLY SHOULD NOT HAVE DONE THAT.

I called my vet's all-hours number right away, and they said it was okay that I used the same syringe on her that I stuck myself with, but try not to do it again, and that I'd probably be okay too. But I'm all scared now. I hope I didn't do something bad to her, and I tend to be hypoglycemic, so what if I got a little insulin?

I made the stick-place bleed a lot, and I think I just feel a little dizzy because I'm sort of panicky but has anyone else done this and what did you do?

I feel so stupid. :(

2. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

you will be fine. and please do not think you are the only one that ever did that. some of us are ol-timers at this and we still manage to stick ourselves or give fur shots. stuff happens. prolly will not be the last time either ;-) worried? have a graham cracker and a little milk or a piece of fruit or glass of wine and breath. really, should be no big deal. ya did not get enough insulin to do yourself harm

3. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

You are NOT stupid, you are just performing a new set of tasks, and it's normal to get worried and confused, because it's a task being performed on someone that you love very, very much. Don't beat yourself up over it. You've learned from this, and now you can move on. :) It's really okay.

I don't have any experience with sticking a kitty with a needle that stuck my own skin, so I can't advise on that. It sounds like it's okay, though, if your vet's office said it was. As for you being hypoglycemic, just pay attention to what your body is telling you, and if you feel like you need some sugar, then have a sugary, carb-y snack. I don't think you could have gotten enough to really make things dangerous for yourself, though, if you didn't notice any was missing. With only 1u locked and loaded, the odds of doing yourself any harm would be pretty minimal, I imagine.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I made the stick-place bleed a lot". Do you mean the place you poked Migoto with the syringe, or the place you poked yourself?

4. migoto and mom

migoto and mom Member

Thank you so much. This really helps to hear!

And sorry - I meant the place on my finger. I didn't make Migoto bleed! She took her shot just fine, and I never see blood when I give her shots.

After I put the needle in the sharps disposal container, I made the place on my finger where I stuck myself bleed a lot and ran it under water.

I just don't want to have hurt her or made myself ill. Sorry for panicking.

5. Sarah and Buzz

You don't have to apologize for panicking! We all have, and we all still do, over one thing or another.

I would just watch your own finger for signs of infection, as you'd do with any wound. I think you will be just fine, and Migoto says, "Yeah, now you know how it feels when you poke me!" ;)

6. Laura and Oreo

Laura and Oreo Member

I think we've all done it at least once! Me, more than once and I'm a nurse :roll: Hang in there, you're doing great!

7. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

I did that once. And just to make sure I didn't hypo, I had made sure to take in some carbs - in the form of a tube of Pringles. :razz:

Yep, watch for infection... but you will likely be fine. I'm sure the insulin hasn't affected you, it's just the excitement. Do you have a metre? Can you test yourself?

Also, now's a good time to mention that if you ever do give a "fur shot" (a shot that either goes through the tented skin or you just miss the cat while trying to give the insulin), do not give another shot. We can't tell if any insulin entered and giving more would be unsafe. I know that's not what you did, but it came to mind for me to tell you.

8. migoto and mom

migoto and mom Member

You guys have made me feel SO much better. Thank you. I had a cookie and some juice just in case, and I feel fine now (but embarassed).

I just *wish* I'd thrown out the syringe I stuck myself with and prepared a new one. Migoto seems okay (she's relaxing right next to me as I type), and the vet said it was all right, so I'm trying not to worry about her *too* much. It's just all so new, and mistakes are scary!

This list is so wonderful.

Edit: this is good to know about the "fur shots" too.

And yep, now I do know how it feels when I stick her. ;)

Tonight has been a learning experience.

9. Sarah and Buzz

10. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Don't feel embarrassed, most of us have either done or will do it in the future. And usually it happens more than once. Just go have a cup of hot chocolate. drinking11

11. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Wait till you drop one needle first on your nekkid food. :eek:

12. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

no need to be embarrassed. if it can happen it's happened on here believe me. we even had a human diabetic mix up her insulin with her diabetic cat's and gave herself her cats insulin. and at first she and us thought she had given herself 20 units of her cats insulin! several people stayed up with her into the night to make sure she was fine and once everyone got over the OMG factor, someone realized she had only done 10 units. still not the best scenario but better than 20 :D

and for that matter, i perforated my cat. seriously! way back when in the beginning, i inserted the needle, pushed the plunger, and SPLAT! the insulin suddenly was on the window on the other side of her! turns out i inserted the needle and came right back thru the skin and didn't realize it until the insulin made a mess of my window.

andddddd, if you are testing or take up hometesting, you inevitably will poke your own finger. it happens. take it as an opportunity to test yourself and to check to make sure your meter is working fine :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.