I am new here!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Albert & Ninja, Dec 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albert & Ninja

Albert & Ninja New Member

Hello everyone,

I am in my late 20's and have just finished college. I have a 8-9 year old male tuxedo cat named Ninja who I've had since he fit in the palm of my hand.

He had bladder stones a few years ago and had them surgically removed and has been on Hill's Prescription Diet C/D dry since then.

He became very sick and had very high BG levels and was then diagnosed with diabetes earlier 2017. After he was brought back to a healthy state he went in for a checkup and had very low numbers. He seemed to temporarily rid himself of diabetes and was taken off insulin for a few months.

In September he was put back on as he was showing the symptoms again and had high BG.

Here I am now. I look forward to encounters here and appreciate any advice I can get to help me get my little man's levels under control.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! You've come to the right place! :) Please post all your questions on the main health forum. People will want to know:
    • what insulin you use
    • what Ninja's current dose is
    • what he eats
    • whether you test his blood glucose at home or are willing to learn how to do it.

3. nmveasey

nmveasey Member

Welcome Wolf!
    It sounds like our kitties have a lot in common. When I found Monster, he fit in my palm and his eyes weren’t open yet. He is now 11 years old and about 22 lbs. Monster also has a history of urinary issues and was eating the C/D Food. Between that food and depo shots (for itching), I’m pretty sure that’s what caused his diabetic state.

I highly recommend you get him off the CD food. The carb content is way too high. I stepped monster down to the Purina DM (not great, but butter in terms of carbs) dry food and then to Dr Elseys Clean Protein Chicken with some Young Again Zero mixed in. The dry food (less than 2/3 cup per day) is a supplement to his daily cans of wet food.
    Just my two cents worth.

In addition to what Kris suggested, go ahead and set up your signature and a spreadsheet. They provide valuable information to everyone when you have a question.

This forum is a great place and everyone here is full of knowledge and information.

Myagi (GA) and Heidi likes this.
  4. Albert & Ninja

Albert & Ninja New Member

I would have to agree. I think the C/D is definitely a contributing element to his current condition. I stopped the CD about a week ago. Moved to DM like yourself, and just in the past two days moved to a very low carb Fancy Feast Ocean Whitefish and Tuna.

I have months of data to migrate into the spreadsheet. I will be working on that for the next few days.

nmveasey and Vader723 like this.
  5. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Myagi (GA) and Heidi Well-Known Member

Welcome Wolf and Ninja!

6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Wolf and Ninja.

I see Ninja has a history of uroliths. I had similar problems with my little ones. I wish I had found the following vet-authored article about urinary tract health when I first started adopting my fur babies. It may have some hints and tips you'll find helpful for Ninja:

Urinary Tract Page (from Lisa Pierson DVM's catinfo.org)

Mogs

Albert & Ninja likes this.
  7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome

8. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

welcome Ninja and Wolf...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.