I am new to Lantus - can 1/2 unit be given with the pens?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by coldenburg, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coldenburg

coldenburg Member

I have been calling around and the pharmacists I have spoken with do not think that the pens can be adjusted for 1/2 unit. That is what I believe I will be starting with when I switch him over. I have found a pharmacy that will sell me the individual pens and I have spoken with Samsclub as well but I have to call back there tomorrow, but if I can't shoot 1/2 unit this isn't going to work anyway. Are you able to push out some to make it go down to half a unit after its measured up? Its hard for me to know because I have no idea how this works yet. They thought that would be wasteful but it sounds like it still would be more economical than buying the 10 ml bottle.

2. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

You can buy the smaller pen vials, but then you give the insulin with a syringe. The top of the vial is smaller, but you can still get the syringe in there and draw out the insulin.

You can get syringes that have half-unit markings, so it's easier to measure out.

Odiesmom

3. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

using the pens as a pen for a cat is a bit of a problem (does it all go in? will kitty sit still for it? etc...)

when using the pens what you do is also get a box of regular insulin syringes (3/10cc, 5/16" needle, with half unit markings) and use the pen like a vial, sticking the syringe in the end of the pen.

the lid or cap comes off the pen just like a pen you write with. that exposes the little cartridge or miniature vial that's in it. then you just insert the syringe in the rubber end just like you do a regular vial of insulin. draw out what you need then re-cap the pen or not, that's up to you. i don't re-cap it actually. i just store mine upright in a cup in the fridge

4. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

Hi again-
    I had all the same questions as you on this topic when we initially got on. DO NOT buy the needles that typically go with the Solo Star Pens. The dial-a-dose idea is good if you are a human using larger amounts but the dosing is WAY too inaccurate with the small amounts we give our cats. (read weathergirl/Vesta's early condos)
    Use syringes instead to draw your dose. You basically are using the pens as mini-vials. There is a small septum type opening where the pen needle would go into the pen cartrige if in fact you were using it as such. Instead, this is where you will insert your syringe needle. You just take the cap off the pen, draw your dose then replace the cap on the pen putting it back into the refrigerator. I would lightly wipe the vial septum first with a tiny bit of alcohol and a lint free pad. Never put alcohol on the needle or injection site. I also kept mine stored standing up..not sure if this is absolutely necessary, but how I did it.
    I capped the pen, then put it in a ziploc, then in a little box so it would stand up better. This also offered a little extra protection against other items in fridgwn fridge, getting jiggled, etc.. Try to keep it off the side or back walls or other areas where it can get too cold. Also don't keep it in the door where it gets shaken every time it opens/closes. Find it a nice quiet place where it can be left alone ;-)
    Because the little mini vials are in a pen casing, you get a little extra protection as a bonus.

I bought both the Solo Star Pen AND syringes (1/2 unit mark syringes, short length, 30 or 31 gauge-personal choice) at Sam's club pharmacy. I think I paid 1$12.50 or so for the box of 100 needles, and $38 for the pen.
    FYI: Costco was cheapest when I called around, but at that time they wouldn't see a single pen. He did say however that by the next month he might break a box as he had another customer wanting singles also and to check back. So you may check there as an option.

good luck!

Oh, PS: I didn't necessarily realize or follow this, but have read NOT to shoot air or insulin back into the pen vial. Unlike a vial they are designed with negative pressure (for the auto-dial-a dose to work) so shooting air back in can offset the balance of the solution. I didn't realize this and did in fact shoot overdrawn insulin back in a few times but don't think it compromised mine. But potentially it could so good advice. I think the more of these things you follow, the more life you are apt to get out of your insulin.

5. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

You don't use the button at the top of the pen. That is for Human diabetics.

Just stick an insulin syringe into the rubber stopper:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.