I an new here and wanting advice on care for my diabetic cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Susheela Nair, Jan 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susheela Nair

Susheela Nair New Member

Hi. My cat was recently diagnosed with diabetes. I live in Malaysia and the vet says it is difficult to get hold of insulin for cats. My cat is on dry food for diabetic cats (Royal Canine) but has diarrhea all the time. Poor kitty looks tired. Can soneone advice me please.

2. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Feline Diabetes Message Board, or FDMB for short. The people here are very happy to help others learn more about treating their diabetic cats. For help with specific questions, post on "Feline Health - the Main Forum" ( http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/ ).

When you say the vet says it's difficult to get hold of insulin for cats, is the vet referring to insulin made specifically for pets? It that is a problem, how about human insulin? A lot of the people here on FDMB treat their cats with human insulin. I looked up and found that the two human insulin's that are used most often by people here are available in Malaysia. They are Lantus (Glargine) and Levemir (Detemir). If your vet can prescribe one of those, you should have no trouble treating your cat.

We also highly recommend feeding low-carb canned food. And if you do treat with insulin, we recommend home-testing your cats blood glucose using a human glucometer.

So please post more questions over on the "Feline Health" board and we will try to answer!

3. Susheela Nair

Susheela Nair New Member

Thank you so much. After reading this, I contacted the vet again on the insulin. He didn't seem familiar... maybe people in this part of the world don't care for pets the way others do. Seeing the vet today. Thanks again.

4. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

There are vets all over who do not know they can treat cats with human insulin. The question is will your vet be willing to try it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.