I asked Wysong about Epigen 90

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by George&Bert, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George&Bert

George&Bert Member

There is a blog that accuses Wysong of misleading advertising so I wrote and asked. Below, is the reply. Please comment if you wish. I had listed the former figures to see if they were still relevant.
    Wysong:
    The figures in your nutritional information chart below should still be accurate.
    Those diets have not undergone significant formulation changes.
    There is no more appropriate dry diet on the market for diabetic animals than Epigen™, and the Optimal Health Feeding Program advised by Dr. Wysong (see: http://www.wysong.net/pet-health-and-nu ... rogram.php).
    The only carbs present in Epigen 90™ are from meat and organ glycogen, and plant fibers. I understand that you’d like to go straight to establishing a percent of carbohydrates, but it is important to understand the sources of the carbohydrates in Epigen™ as this is what makes it so unique and biologically appropriate. Whereas all other dry diets contain carbohydrate content from unnatural starch ingredients, Epigen™ does not. The only carbohydrates in Epigen™ follow what would be consumed in the natural diet. We do not quantitate glycogen and plant fiber as that would be misleading consumers into believing that percentages are the objective of health and nutrition.
    This distinction is critical especially for diabetic creatures. It is the difference between generating an insulin spike and not. X number of carbs from meat and organ glycogen, and plant fibers, is not the same as X number of carbs from starch and sugar.
    We estimate that as fed Epigen 90™ contains less than 6% carbohydrates in the form they naturally occur in the ingredients.
    Please note that although the manufacturers you cite may detail percentages to appeal to a particular market, a person cannot know if these values are correct without lab testing each batch of product produced by that manufacturer. This is why targeting percentages in foods does not and has never worked for achieving long-term health. One can neither know what the percentages truly are, nor exactly how the percentages impact any given animal.

2. Ken & Tara

Ken & Tara Member

Thank you @George&Bert. I know you haven't been around for awhile, but it seems Wysong Epigen (Epigen as well as Epigen 90) was Internet attacked. The reviews on Amazon, some of them anyway, are just horrendous. I didn't know what to think, until I saw your post. I decided to try Epigen (not Epigen 90). So many of the reviews make claims that I can't verify, such as the kibble being hard, or the animals won't touch it. I found an awesome retailer in a nearby town that carries it, he actually seemed to be knowledgeable about many different foods appropriate for a diabetic cat, it was really pleasant to find that kind of help. After returning home, as soon as I opened the bag and poured it in their dishes, our indoor cats seem to be enjoying it. I officially switched them as of today. We'll see how they do on it, and particularly, whether it helps with Tara's BG numbers.

I tried a bite of it myself, and nope, it wasn't hard as a rock, and it tasted fine to me, but I'm not a cat!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  3. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

@Ken & Tara - the post above was written in 2012. A lot has changed with Wysong's products since then. If you'd like a sample, email them - they'll gladly provide it. My cats were never really fond of it but my cats are ALL wierd...

Ken & Tara likes this.
  4. Ken & Tara

Ken & Tara Member

@Squeaky and KT, Yes, I was aware of some changes. Like I said, it remains to be seen how our cats do on Wysong's current formula, first over days, then weeks, months.... The options for starch- and grain-free dry cat foods are highly limited, and this was the most economical choice I could find. Tara's BG numbers are soaring in spite of increases in insulin, and the only thing I can discern is that she is eating more dry food as insulin is increased. So, I hope this helps and I hope our cats all do well on it.

5. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

Generally, we don't "bump" threads that are almost 4 years old.

:)

Ken & Tara likes this.
  6. Ken & Tara

Ken & Tara Member

Should I leave and never return?

Andy & Pimp likes this.
  7. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

LOL, no! Just letting you know;)
    Bumping up super old threads just tends to create confusion for a lot of members.

You can always start a new thread about anything you'd like to discuss! If it pertains to an old post, the best thing to do is copy and paste with a link to that thread.

There is a lot of etiquette on this board to try to keep things organized. It takes a while to learn it all!

Critter Mom and Ken & Tara like this.
  8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

You tasted it!!!!!! I will do most anything for my cat but I draw line at tasting their food.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.