? I chickened out....

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cheetah78, Sep 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheetah78

Cheetah78 New Member

Vader had her BG curve at the vet yesterday and was in the 400s :( I was supposed to start her on 1 unit, twice a day, of Levemir today. I didnt have the syringes this morning, but I got some this afternoon. At the vet's recommendation, I got the 100 unit syringes, but they came with 2 unit measurements and I didn't know this. So now I have to guess? Is that right? Then it was late when I got home and she didn't eat much... So since this was my first time, I was starring at the pen, syringe, reading this site, while watching Youtube tutorials and I got freaked out. Someone please talk me down from the ledge. How much does she need to eat? Can I use these syringes? Best resource for learning how to give the shot? I would've asked the vet but she's closed until Tues. TIA!!

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Can you take a photo of the syringes you bought please and post?
    I don't think you have the correct ones. Do not give any insulin with them yet.
    The correct syringes for Levemir is the 0.3ml U - 100 insulin syringes. They should have 1 unit markings on them, or you can get ones with 1/2 unit markings.
    Here are some photos or different brands

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  3. Cheetah78

Cheetah78 New Member

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

These are the wrong syringes! Do not use these! You will not get the correct dose and it is unsafe.

If you go to a Walmart you will be able to get the correct type, although there are other brands at other places as well.
    The correct syringes are 0.3ml used for U-100 insulin.
    They only go up to 30 units per syringe and are marked in 1 unit markings although you can get 1/2 unit markings which are even better, if you can get those.

When you get them can you post a photo of the box please so we can check for you.
    Well done in noticing you were given the wrong syringes!

Beck and Leah like this.
  5. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Vet said to get 'U100' syringes, not 100 unit syringes. You only want 30 unit syringes. The U100 is to match the strength of the insulin - Levemir is a 'U100' insulin while Vetsulin and Prozinc are U40 insulins.

I know - why do they have to make this stuff so complicated!

6. Tiger and the squid

Tiger and the squid Member

When Tiger changed insulin, I had to find different syringes for him. The folks at the Walmart pharmacy were SO nice and helpful. I was trying explain what kind of syringes I needed and failing really bad, finally they just asked what his dose of lantus was going to be, and gave me the right syringes. They explained that they had the half unit markings to make it easier to get the smaller dose.

Hope you're able to get the right stuff to help your kitty.

Beck likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.