I did it....2nd attempt a success!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by heatherj932, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heatherj932

heatherj932 Member

Hello All!

So tonight I decided to try testing Cyrus' BG again. I took that advice of many and warmed up some un-cooked rice in a baggy, Cyrus loved the warm feeling on his ear. I took a lancet and next thing you know, I have a drop of blood. So, at the vets, Cyrus BG levels were anywhere from 350-366. Tonight at 8 pm, after he ate, he tested at 266. Even after I tested him, he gave me a sloppy kiss :razz: . I then gave him a treat. He still will not leave my side, but I do not mind. When he is feeling good-he wants you to know it. How often should I test him? We are not currently using any insulin. I am REALLY going to push with my vet this Thursday that we start using it!! I am weaning Cyrus off of Hills c/d dry. I am giving him mostly FF canned.

Thanks to ALL of you who gave me the courage and strength since our diagnoses. You all make me realize that there are MANY good people in this world!!

Heather & Cyrus

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

Since you have not started insulin yet -- I would suggest that you start testing before meal times.

If you do need to start insulin, then you will need to test before shots, and meals are given at shot times. So -- this will become a routine ---

Sometimes a diet change to low carb canned or raw is enough... you can test +1 hour, +2 hours after a meal and maybe +4 hours - too see if Cyrus' pancreas is helping out and bringing his blood sugar down following the meal.

3. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

Fantastic job!!

agree with Phoebe too :)

4. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Congratulations! And thanks for posting your experience. Each person's victory helps encourage the next one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.