I did it!!!! I got a BG reading!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by WendyACE, Dec 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WendyACE

WendyACE Member

Yippie! Thanks to tips from you great people whom answered my cries after my first try to get a BG yesterday, this evenings try was a success though not very pretty. I started with some freeze dried chicken treats then wrapped Bailey in a blanket, rolled her over and grabbed a back paw. I rubbed Neosporin on it and freehanded the lancet. Gave her foot pad a gentle squeeze and saw a drop of blood well up (never saw anything more beautiful) and then...

Bailey twisted and turned and got out of the blanket!!!!

I quickly grabbed her flipped her over and into my arms like a baby and she actually stopped squirming. I gave her foot pad another gentle squeeze and another drop of blood welled up. I quickly touched the meter to it and heard that wonderful beep! I then held a gauze pad on her foot for a minute and gave her great praises and more treats. Her reading is still quite high so my worries that blindly giving her 1u each time since Wednesday morning might send her too low have been relieved.

Oh and Bailey really loves the freeze dried chicken treats. Thanks Jill & Pansy Panini!!!!

I know there will be more "fails" to come but at least for now I can BREATHE!

I am so glad I found this forum. Without the help of all of the wonderful people here I don't know how I would do it.
    :bighug:

Bailey just joined me while writing this and she is purring like a Harley Motorcycle. She doesn't hate me!:cat:

2. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Persistence payed off.

3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

You can scrape the drop of blood off onto your clean fingernail (no chocolate beforehand) and use that drop of blood – assuming, of course, that you have a hand free to do so.
    Congratulations.

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Congratulations

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Congratulations and welcome to the Vampire Club!!!
    vampire smiley .jpg

Judy and Freckles likes this.
  6. Jill & Pansy Panini

Jill & Pansy Panini Member

Hooray!!! Oh Wendy, I am so happy for you!

7. Jill & Pansy Panini

Jill & Pansy Panini Member

And one more thing..I buy Wildside freeze dried salmon treats on Amazon...around $11 per bag I think. Much cheaper than the store. I wish I could send a few to Bailey through the forum!!!

8. whiskysmom

whiskysmom Member

Nice job @WendyACE ! We just started testing BG about 6 weeks ago at home and it was quite the challenge at first, but I promise it gets easier! Good for you for being persistent. Isn't it the best thing ever when you work so hard to get the sample and then hear that glorious beep?!

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.